Help tortoise has white spots inflamed

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Can someone please help and let me know what is going on with my red foot tortoise she is a female anything would help thank you

0665F9E8-94B5-42E6-81CF-6F9CD12ACF01.jpeg5D425F44-07B7-4DDD-81FA-1F5BBD9380ED.jpeg2E7DD04C-16AE-4C19-AD66-A693C159BB7E.jpeg47CFE8FA-B8BB-492E-A6E2-2C373CA5367D.jpegDB5C8FD7-4879-479E-9F29-D98955E7AA81.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The guys I've tagged will be along when they seen their notifications.
Meanwhile can you post pics of her enclosure and tell us how old she is, how long you've had her and when you first noticed the spots.
It will save some time if the members I've tagged or others have as much information as possible.

Last edited:
Florida
hello! She is being housed outside during the day and inside at night along with 3 other tortoises they don’t wipe off they seems to be growing on her body I’ll attach some pics( sorry for all the pictures ) we also let and the others roam during the day outside for a bit before putting them inside their outdoor house she’s around 10 years old I’d assume as we got her when she was around 2 on her lower half of her eyeball there’s a white inflamed thing growing I’d assume it’s not very normal as I haven’t been able to find anything online please let me know if you need any more info thank you for your reply

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgE88E4785-31F8-4787-9946-2615194930E6.jpegFA199371-81C3-41E0-9E3C-8CFFD85B4EAA.jpeg3B44FBA2-5024-49E5-8A07-F2365185F2BE.jpeg41E85BC2-CCA6-4AF2-B0C7-78F55A41D099.jpeg792A661B-8254-44E6-A31F-D9382173BBB6.jpeg328CC97B-6D4D-45FB-9318-5964E75A7F8A.jpeg12721CC9-283D-479A-9E47-E9E6046E1C01.jpeg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Are any of the tortoises new or have any problems? How long have you had each one of them? It should help experts.

Florida
I have four tortoises the one having problems Iv had for around 10 years I believe and the other big one 7 and the two smallest ones 4 years they’ve never had any problems . Is there any other info I should add thank you

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Are they all redfoots?
I would keep her separate from the others for now just in case its something infectious hopefully not but better safe than sorry.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
The skin on the legs looks like a deep, long-term fungal infection. Pretty common with Redfoots since they seek out water, mud, etc. for prolonged soaking sessions. Is there standing water in the enclosure? Safe wading pools should be provided and routinely cleaned.

Stagnant water in a confined space is a health hazard. Clear up the drainage issues so that no algae, bacteria, or fungal agents are able to take over the ground.

An over-the-counter foot fungus creme can be smoothed over all the rough skin and spots -- be extremely careful around the eyes. A wee dab goes a long way, so don't slather. Daily for 10-14 days.

If the skin and activity level do not improve, seek in-person veterinary care with a qualified, experienced reptile practitioner or an office that sees wildlife on a regular basis (don't let anyone give a tortoise a Vitamin A injection -- that would only be for turtles).

ZenHerper

New Jersey
nope not even for turtles! ...

Incorrect.

While it is totally possible to overdose (any) injectable medications, hypovitaminosis A in a turtle may be severe enough to merit the treatment. It must be done by someone who can properly take a patient history, diagnose the condition, and calculate the dosage.

Vitamin A is not a cure-all, so practitioners must be chosen with care.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Incorrect.

While it is totally possible to overdose (any) injectable medications, hypovitaminosis A in a turtle may be severe enough to merit the treatment. It must be done by someone who can properly take a patient history, diagnose the condition, and calculate the dosage.

Vitamin A is not a cure-all, so practitioners must be chosen with care.
my vet told me if the hypervitaminosis A is that bad, your tortoise probably won't survive due to the severity anyway. none of his patients that he injected with vitamin a survived. so i guess we are on the same page - the point is, it's not really OK

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nolvasan can be purchased from Amazon. It's a disinfectant. Besides what's been suggested above, you can mix up a diluted solutionin a small plastic bin and put the tortoise in it. Splash it onto all the skin, watching to keep her from drinking it. Let it sit awhile, then rinse her off. You can do this daily for a week.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The skin on the legs looks like a deep, long-term fungal infection. Pretty common with Redfoots since they seek out water, mud, etc. for prolonged soaking sessions. Is there standing water in the enclosure? Safe wading pools should be provided and routinely cleaned.

Stagnant water in a confined space is a health hazard. Clear up the drainage issues so that no algae, bacteria, or fungal agents are able to take over the ground.

An over-the-counter foot fungus creme can be smoothed over all the rough skin and spots -- be extremely careful around the eyes. A wee dab goes a long way, so don't slather. Daily for 10-14 days.

If the skin and activity level do not improve, seek in-person veterinary care with a qualified, experienced reptile practitioner or an office that sees wildlife on a regular basis (don't let anyone give a tortoise a Vitamin A injection -- that would only be for turtles).
I like this. And in fact I'd do this myself.
If it is a fungal issue, ATHLETES FOOT CREAM will stop it. And if it's something else, that cream won't do any damage.
You can get the $12 cream or the one from the DOLLAR STORE. It all works. And I'd dab it into those areas with a Q tip to make sure it gets into those crevices.
(But avoid the eyes)
Fungus is somewhat contagious. But it's also pretty easy to treat. And to prevent.
Hopefully that's what it is.
I've never seen a fungal skin infection personally.
And I'm still puzzled. It just doesn't look like anything I'm fafamiliar with.
I'd definitely see my vet if the cream doesn't change the look of those spots in a few days to get a biopsy.
By all means. Start with the foot cream.
Since we don't know for a fact what this is. I'd also separate her and clean my hands really well after handling her.

Last edited:

ZenHerper

New Jersey
my vet told me if the hypervitaminosis A is that bad, your tortoise probably won't survive due to the severity anyway. none of his patients that he injected with vitamin a survived. so i guess we are on the same page - the point is, it's not really OK

Turtles are not tortoises. Two different pages.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Turtles are not tortoises. Two different pages.
yes. i have both. and my turtle had an issue with vitamin a. but no he did not get an injection. this is someone elses thread and we are getting off track so if you really want to argue you can message me.

Florida
thank you so much !! I’ll definetly take that into consideration I assumed it was some sort of fungus but I just wanted to make sure do you know if the product you mentioned is available in pet stores ? Or if you’ve ever bought one could you reccomend ? Thank you again for your help and the pool that I use for them is outside with mud it usually drains itself at night and I fill it again with water should I stop doing that? And they’re all red doors except one is a yellow foot

Florida
Thank you so much I appreciate it I will definetly start doing that. Do you think it’s contagious to humans or just tortoises ? She’s been near the other tortoises for the past week so this sort of worries me thank you again for your help