help tortoise flips himself over in his enclousure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nivek

5 Year Member
I recently just built a tortoise table for my little sulcata he's only 5 inches. I made the table out of plywood and is about 4'x4' I left him in there once and when I went to go check on him he was flipped on his back. I flipped him back over, and this time I watched over him. I noticed that he climbs the walls and loses balance and flips over, I have tried to come up with ideas to get him to stop. But none have been working. If anyone could please give me ideas on how I could prevent him from being able to climb the walls and flip over? I will post a picture of his enclosure.

Attachments

• 20130618_114739.jpg
    20130618_114739.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try putting pieces of wood across the inside of your corners, making them not a corner. Also, you need to cover 3/4 of the enclosure and get some humidity in there. He's pyramiding and you an help that to start growing smooth with some humidity. How old is he?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
He is bored. There is nothing in there. The space is decent but you need to decorate it.

Put in some rocks. Big rocks he has to walk around, flat rocks he can walk over. Put in some potted plants that have foliage hanging overfor him to investigate/munch on/hide in.
The list of possibilities is endless!

That will make a huge difference.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Nivek

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Try putting pieces of wood across the inside of your corners, making them not a corner. Also, you need to cover 3/4 of the enclosure and get some humidity in there. He's pyramiding and you an help that to start growing smooth with some humidity. How old is he?

Ok ill try that. I know I need to cover I just recently built it and am starting to decorate it. He is 2 years old. And the pyramiding was from a recent owner. I would love some advice on getting some humidity into there. He has the walk in tub I added in so he can soak and drink from?

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
He's bored. Get some hibiscus bushes, wash out the chemicals and replant them back in the pots with organic soil and organic food. Switch the plants locations so he can renavigate around a "new" looking territory. Also different elevations (higher in the middle) and textures (rocks, organic top soil, ect). He'll stop trying to climb out if he's occupied with other things in his space. Hope this helps!

Team Gomberg said:
He is bored. There is nothing in there. The space is decent but you need to decorate it.

Put in some rocks. Big rocks he has to walk around, flat rocks he can walk over. Put in some potted plants that have foliage hanging overfor him to investigate/munch on/hide in.

Heather

Hahaha wrote practically the same thing at the same time. Now I just look repetitive! ;)

Nivek

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:

Heather

Thank you. That was my original idea to do. As I just recently built the cage I havent gotten around to doing so. I just needed something to prevent him from flipping. While I begin to decorate it.

Nivek

5 Year Member
Thanks. I know I need to decorate it and I am in the process of doing so. I just needed advice and help from keeping him to flip over while I do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.