Help - Tortoise eating new substrate.

PixelAdams

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hello all, it's been a while since I've posted but I'm having a new problem with my 2 year old marginated tortoise Pixel.

I got a new, larger enclosure for her and put in a substrate of mixed organic gardening soil and play sand. When I put her on it she immediately started to eat it, ignoring the fresh greens I put in for her.

I've looked up this issue and see that it is resolved for most people after the tortoise gets used to the new enclosure, but I am worried that ingesting the substrate will harm her.

I have removed her for now and placed her back in her old enclosure, but this is just a temporary solution.

All temps are correct for her species and she gets varied food of zoo med pellets, spring mix, and the tortoise supply dried herb mix, sprinkled twice a week with calcium and vitamin powder.

Any advice or recommendations? Should I put her back in and see if she stops? Do I need to scoop out and change the substrate?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sand should not be used. It can cause impaction. I would remove the substrate and replace without using sand.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yup,no sand, however, that alone may not solve the problem. If your pet store doesn't carry "Miner-all" by Sticky Tongue Farms, then order some online. It contains lots of different minerals that seem to be lacking in tortoise diets. It gives them the minerals they're looking for when eating substrate.

I like to use the fine grade orchid bark, but quite a few folks here use and like coco-coir. If the tortoise eats either one of these it won't cause any harm.

miner-all-outdoor-3-oz-sticky-tongue-farms.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Usually eating sand and pebbles is a sign that your animal is lacking in calcium and minerals.
Along with your supplements is your tortoise being kept warm enough to process calcium and does it have a source of UVB?
(Sorry if you already know this.)

PixelAdams

Chicago
Thank you all, I guess the sand mix experiment was a failure, haha. I've seen quite a few posters on this forum recommend sand, but I guess it won't work for me if my tortoise is going to eat it. I had her on coco coir before, I'll go back to that.

Would it be safe to mix in just the organic soil? I wanted to grow plants in with her.

PixelAdams

Chicago
Usually eating sand and pebbles is a sign that your animal is lacking in calcium and minerals.
Along with your supplements is your tortoise being kept warm enough to process calcium and does it have a source of UVB?
(Sorry if you already know this.)

Thanks, I'm going to order the mineral supplement recommended above. Yes, the tortoise is kept under a MVB, with temps usually between 90-100 F under the light, and 70ish on the cool end. No light or heat at night, whole tank stays around 70 F.