Help! tortoise eating less

franklin444

Location (City and/or State)
U.S.A
I have a 3 or 4 year old male Russian tortoise and I have noticed that he has been eating less. I am wondering why this is happening. Usually i feed him a mixed diet with greens and veggies. Today a put out his favorite food, dandelion greens and some romaine lettuce as a treat and he didn't eat Much. usually when I feed him this he gobbles it up. Anyone know why he is doing this? please help.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Lack of eating can be caused by temperatures that are too low. What are the temperatures and other conditions in the enclosure?

Does the tortoise look healthy otherwise ? How are the eyes and nose?

franklin444

U.S.A
He shows no signs of things on his eyes or nose area. His lighting above his enclosure is one uv bulb and another heat/uv bulb. I just checked the temperatures with a heat gun and they were 96 on the warm side and 75 on the cooler side. He is eating regularly again now.

franklin444

U.S.A
Now i am noticing something on his nose. He didn't have it when I wrote my last update but he dose now. It looks like a white crust near his nose. Could this be URTD? If it is what medications are right to help treat it?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Usually upper respiratory infections manifest in the form of bubbles coming out of the nose. It's hard to say what the white stuff is. Does it come back after you soak and wiping it off? It could just be food or calcium if you're giving your tortoise supplements.

Take and post some photos.

franklin444

U.S.A
I soaked him and it was easily wiped off. In the morning I will take pictures and post them. Than you so much for helping me!