Help!!! (Tortoise died - no symptoms)

apromann4

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
philippines
need advice,my friend buy a indian star,clear eyes ,nose,no sign of RI ,then after 2 days he died ,no sign and symptom,enclosure i with heater,and she in the hobby more than a year already,we don't know what happen,base on the pic she send i think heat stroke,i saw a reddish fluif below the jaw,and dripping reddish mark flowed from nose to the jaw,actually her hoise maid is the one taking care if her tort when this happen ,because she out of the country,any input what the cause of death,any comment on the pic?as far as i know when tort die thru illness like RI ,head should be fall down out of the shell,not stock hard inside.

thanks any input will be appriciated

1484699286975.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry to hear this. Just about impossible to know why it died. Could be one of a million things.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like it might have been septicemia. You can see traces of red on the skin too. But there's just no way of knowing for sure without a necropsy. Your friend bought a sick tortoise.

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
how about heat stroke? too much heat then small enclosure? i ask her how big the enclosure,she did not mention and Using 100watts Che all the time,we are in a tropical country

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Awww, what a shame, I am so very sorry! This was either sudden trauma (overheating, accident of some kind, poisoning) or it was indeed a sick tortoise that was bought by your friend.