Help! Tortoise beak ripped up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilbertP24

5 Year Member
IMG_0331.jpgIMG_0335.jpgIMG_0333.jpg
Okay, so this is a really interesting question, but part of my Russian Tortoise's beak is ripped up (I have attached some pictures to help explain). I think when he was playing on his log (he likes to climb up it and slide down the other side), he fell down and caught his beak on the log and ripped the left side of his beak up. I don't know what to do because if I rip it off, it will be almost his entire beak and the fresh scales might get infected, but if I don't, I don't want him to get super annoyed or in pain. Please help if you have any idea what to do! I would really appreciate any advice you have, especially if you have been through this too!!
Thank you so much!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
When I got my Russian her beak was long like yours. Get beak broke on the side first like yours did. I am not add experienced as other members but the beak looks to be too long and needs to be trimmed.
I can only see the first pic thou. I wouldn't panic until a more experienced member tells you to.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I think he needs a trimming anyway. If you aren't confident doing it have your vet. Their beak grows continuously like your fingernails. Consider this something like a human hangnail. If its not bloody at all then there is only the hard beak tissue affected. An angled pair of manicure clippers work brilliantly to trim these. Perhaps just clip the ripping spot and leave the entire beak trim to the vet...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, like the others have said, the reason this happened is due to the fact the beak is in need of a trim. Once you've had a vet trim it, then when you feed him, don't cut up the food. Feed him on a rough surface and give him big pieces that he has to bite off.

mommybeegs

5 Year Member
GilbertP24 said:
Okay, so this is a really interesting question, but part of my Russian Tortoise's beak is ripped up (I have attached some pictures to help explain). I think when he was playing on his log (he likes to climb up it and slide down the other side), he fell down and caught his beak on the log and ripped the left side of his beak up. I don't know what to do because if I rip it off, it will be almost his entire beak and the fresh scales might get infected, but if I don't, I don't want him to get super annoyed or in pain. Please help if you have any idea what to do! I would really appreciate any advice you have, especially if you have been through this too!!
Thank you so much!!

I found this to be helpful... http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com/2012/12/how-to-trim-tortoises-beak-with-pictures.html?m=1

GilbertP24

5 Year Member
I took him to a vet not too long ago and the vet filed it down a bit. But I don't think he had worked with many tortoises before. I made an appointment with a new vet, but I will probably end up doing the majority myself. Thank you so much for the advice and the website reference. :) and I do feed him stalky food and never cut it up and feed him on a rigid rock so I think his beak is just too long. :) thank you again!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Sounds like you already got some good advice - and someone already posted a link to the instructional on my tortoise blog (thank you, by the way!). :)
Feel free to ask if you have any questions after reading that.

GilbertP24 said:
I took him to a vet not too long ago and the vet filed it down a bit. But I don't think he had worked with many tortoises before. I made an appointment with a new vet, but I will probably end up doing the majority myself. Thank you so much for the advice and the website reference. :) and I do feed him stalky food and never cut it up and feed him on a rigid rock so I think his beak is just too long. :) thank you again!

GilbertP24

5 Year Member
biochemnerd808 said:
Sounds like you already got some good advice - and someone already posted a link to the instructional on my tortoise blog (thank you, by the way!). :)
Feel free to ask if you have any questions after reading that.

Thank you so much Biochemnerd808!! :) I found a different vet than the one before who is supposed to be a lot more experienced, so I will find out on Monday if they can fix my baby's beak, and if not, I will probably come asking you questions! Thank you for your help!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.