help to understand the sex of my red foot tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
i have a doubt because the first have the carapace that look like a 8 and a concave plastron and a short tail,the second one have a very flat plastron rounded carapace but maybe it is too young to known his sex

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
First: Male
Second: Female

I dont know if this is right...

but the first seems to have the hourglass shape which only males get (I think someone correct me if im wrong!)
the second seems more rounded in shape and i think the second one is a cherryhead (not that it makes a difference correct me if im wrong)

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
My females look more like the 1st image than the second-but I am only going on my own torts and I could easily be wrong too.

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
thanks.what is the minimal size to be reproductive for the female?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
~ Sorry but im really unsure....there is a site where he has a breeding group off 10'' - 14'' so from about that 'size' not sure age, sorry! :p ~

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
tarta4ever said:
ok ok,thanks for the answers

I have read a few times 9 inches and up! (for the female but cherries can mature sooner.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
They both appear to be female. Also the first one is a Northern Redfoot, while the second is a cherry head ( with out seeing heads) due to some tell, tell signs of the plastron. Thats is my opinion....

JD~:)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I would lay odds that the first one, the Northern, is a female.

The second one, the Brazilian or 'cherry-head' based on the plastron coloration, shows a sign of being a male- broad angle for the anal scutes,

However, I don't see any real helpful signs. Tail size is very helpful- male Red-foots have AMAZINGLY long tails they usually tuck into a rear leg pit. The gap between the anal scute points and the marginals is hard to see here- a wider gap is more likely a male.

Wasp-waist helps, sort of, but the indented plastron is generally more helpful (Brazilians, by the way, have almost no wasp waist or indent compared to the Northerns.)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
I would lay odds that the first one, the Northern, is a female.

The second one, the Brazilian or 'cherry-head' based on the plastron coloration, shows a sign of being a male- broad angle for the anal scutes,

However, I don't see any real helpful signs. Tail size is very helpful- male Red-foots have AMAZINGLY long tails they usually tuck into a rear leg pit. The gap between the anal scute points and the marginals is hard to see here- a wider gap is more likely a male.

Wasp-waist helps, sort of, but the indented plastron is generally more helpful (Brazilians, by the way, have almost no wasp waist or indent compared to the Northerns.)

Mark ... I took a second glance at the pics .. your right , although I have seen some females with a wide gap between scutes, and again .. hard to see from that view.

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
however i hope that it is a female with the grow is more easy know the sex?or i have to wait a reproduction?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Usually it is somewhat easy at this size, but the pictures did not help a lot.

Have you seen the tails extended? Also, makes of that size have often shown their penis by now and done mock matings.

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
no i haven t,the tail looks like a my female hermanni's tail

Status
Not open for further replies.