HELP (swollen eyes)

Jwbk03

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Also if I buy this hood is there even enough room to put a dome?!

It doesn’t appear to leave room for a dome.

Jwbk03

Los Angeles
Does this help?

Attachments

• 879D5766-A52A-4738-A89B-85FF8B57DC45.jpeg
    879D5766-A52A-4738-A89B-85FF8B57DC45.jpeg
    792 KB · Views: 13
  • 5735493C-3616-4D4C-927B-9F2A112922BA.jpeg
    5735493C-3616-4D4C-927B-9F2A112922BA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Not sure what I look up for that (sorry I don’t know much, new to the whole reptile scene ?)
Aww, hang in there Jwbk03! :cool:The reflector is the lamp base in which the heat emitter screws into and must have a higher electrical watt rating to handle the electrial current needed for the heat emitter bulb.

ZEROPILOT is awesome and giving you great advise. So please listen to him. I am so glad you noticed your turtles eyes! .... And yes get an new vet...

? Welcome to the Tortoise Forum and looking forward for more posts on your Ornate turtle. He is a cutie!?

MyKeyTee

5 Year Member
North East USA
It looks like you're in LA, so simply put him in front of a window for natural sun UV and warmth ((80-85 degrees) with places for shade and filtered sun. Keep his substrate warm - moist and the interior humid. Consider more of a closed lid (solid plex?) to keep the humidity in. The little ones need plenty of moisture.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It looks like you're in LA, so simply put him in front of a window for natural sun UV and warmth ((80-85 degrees) with places for shade and filtered sun. Keep his substrate warm - moist and the interior humid. Consider more of a closed lid (solid plex?) to keep the humidity in. The little ones need plenty of moisture.

I might be wrong here, but I’m pretty sure the sun’s UV rays do not pass through glass windows, let alone through the glass windows & the glass enclosure.

MyKeyTee

5 Year Member
North East USA
ah - you are correct! Glass filters out the UVB that the little guy needs - my bad. The recommended lamps are best for this, but the natural heat/light cycle from the sun will help him as will keeping his environment mist and humid

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
ah - you are correct! Glass filters out the UVB that the little guy needs - my bad. The recommended lamps are best for this, but the natural heat/light cycle from the sun will help him as will keeping his environment mist and humid

Yep. Here is a more professional response...

In brief, some types of UV light can pass through window glass.

UV light is divided into three classifications called UV-A, UV-B, and UV-C. Of these three classes, UV-A and UV-B are associated with sunburns and tanning, and UV-A is thought to suppress the immune system. UV-A and UV-B are also associated with tanning beds, and there are hazards associated with the overuse of these beds. UV-C is produced only by specialized lights and the sun. When produced by the sun, UV-C does not penetrate the earth's atmosphere.

Standard window glass, according to the International Ultraviolet Association, will allow UV-A to pass through while almost 100% of the UV-B and UV-C light is blocked. Therefore, some UV light will enter your home and potentially affect your skin. Some of these effects could include increased freckles and increased sensitivity to sunlight that could result in rashes such as photodermatitis.

Today, methods exist to reduce the ability of UV-A to penetrate glass. One such method is to add a solar window film to the interior of your windows. These films block the UV-A and may also keep your house cooler as they also will reflect some heat. In fact, I have installed solar window film on my home's windows. Many of these solar window films can be installed by the homeowner as they require only water and a few drops of dishwashing soap in a spray bottle. If you do decide to add solar window films, verify that the film is a solar film, as not all films will reflect or stop the penetration of UV-A light.

You did not specifically ask about automobile glass, but that also is an issue for exposure to UV-A. The Skin Cancer Foundation states that windshield glass is specifically treated to remove the UV-A; however, the side windows and rear window will allow the UV-A to penetrate the interior. Therefore, care should be taken in vehicles, as well. Window tints can be applied to automobiles, but be aware that states have regulations on tinting.

In summary, typical window glass such as that found in homes will block most of the UV light from entering your house with the exception of UV-A light. Exposures to UV-A light can affect your skin if you have extended exposures to the light. The addition of solar window films to the interior of the windows can reduce most, if not all, of the UV-A from entering your house.

Paul A. Charp, PhD