Help!!! Sulcata tortoise ate a soda can!!!

queen koopa

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas Nevada
Ok, I will feed him every day. The reason I fed him every other day is because before I got him I did some research that they eat every other day. But on the days I don't feed him lettuce and fruits and veggies I do feed him some dried grass. So in all truth he does eat every day. I just don't consider the days I feed him grass as an actual meal
So your kind of feeding the opposite.... Sulcatas main diet (their meals as you call it) should be grass, hay, and weeds. Fruits like once a week if that... Lettuce is just water. Read the care link Lyn W posted to find a good diet you can provide. How big is your Sulcata?

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I would be pretty seriously concerned about this, as Yvonne says, they dont chew their food. Aloe vera and extra hydration is not going to help stop sharp edges of aluminum from cutting his insides all up. An x-ray is in order at the very least, if they find that it has ingested bits of can, I would think they will need to be removed surgically. This is an emergency in my opinion. If you wait your just rolling some dice with your torts life.
I totally agree. This tort needs immediate veterinary care. Your choices may be somewhat limited. Within the LA area, ACCESS and VCA both have exotic veterinary services with individuals who have training/interest in reptiles.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
I unfortunately do not have the money to rush him to the vet, I am going to try with very watery food and food that makes him poop and hopefully it will flush out the pieces. If not then I will rush him to the vet as my last resort. This is an eye opener though that sulcata tortoises will eat anything.
It also shows you he is HUNGRY! Can you send us photos of his enclosure? Pictures of him? Give us a better idea of what you are dealing with.
I personally would not suggest surgery or X-rays unless you see bleeding.

KT1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Skokie
How about canned pumpkin? It’s full of moisture and fiber.
Can torts eat that if needed?

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Bleeding is unlikely to be visually observed--any blood will be digested. This animal needs immediate veterinary care.

ReiGuy

NJ
Please help. My sulcata tortoise ate the side of a soda can. He is pretty big, probably max size for a sulcata, but I am so worried. Never would I think he would eat something like that but he did. Please help, what should I do?
How is your tort doing? Sending positive vibes and saying a prayer for you ?

This instantly reminded me of when I was growing up, we had a black lab, Gabby, who was the nicest dog but would attempt to eat everything from remote controls, pizza boxes, you name it. One day we saw the remnants of a vintage seltzer can in her bowel movements and we were horrified... Rushed her straight to the vet and our hearts were relieved when they gave her an A-OK after xrays and what not. Hoping the same will be the case for your tort. We were sure something had to have happened to Gabby and maybe it was a miracle but it gives me hope your tort will be okay as well.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi everyone, it’s been almost 2 weeks since my tortoise at the can. He has been doing fine, no change in his activity level or diet. So I think he will b ok. Thank you for all the advice ?❤️
I hope you're right but it may be too soon to tell.
Please continue to examine poop for signs of blood or metal and check his vent hasn't been cut when passing stools.