Help? Sulcata found in the desert

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
**Update**
Hubs and I went back to look for him today. Found him immediately within 20 yards of where he was last weekend and the week before.

Meet Sullivan Reginald Rothschild III
He was going to just be Sully, then we priced his pen and decided for the amount of money we're going to drop tomorrow at Home Depot, he needed a more aristocratic name. :)
What a beauty! Whoever had him before. Looks like they were taking good care of him. Very minimal pyramiding on the carapace.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
What I don't understand is that if you're callus enough to abandon an animal like that why you wouldn't just sell it. He(?) has obviously been well cared for so whoever did it knows they weren't setting him free, they were giving him a death sentence.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG! I'm so glad you were persistent!!!!!!! In my opinion, finding him in the same location a couple different times means that he was there long enough to have established a territory. He must have a burrow somewhere nearby, and just stayed in his own territory near the burrow.

First thing, give him a good long soak in something he can't climb out of. And I'll bet he's pretty hungry.

That's a great-looking tortoise and a great name to match! Good job!!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Wonderful news ! He looks very handsome. I am sure you will give him a good life.
Once he has settled in his new home, you might want to take him to a vet for a check-up, since you don't know what sort of situation he has lived in originally - but he looks great.
Very best wishes from Angie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What I don't understand is that if you're callus enough to abandon an animal like that why you wouldn't just sell it. He(?) has obviously been well cared for so whoever did it knows they weren't setting him free, they were giving him a death sentence.
No one will buy a large male sulcata. You can't give them away for free sometimes in some areas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
**Update**
Hubs and I went back to look for him today. Found him immediately within 20 yards of where he was last weekend and the week before.

Meet Sullivan Reginald Rothschild III
He was going to just be Sully, then we priced his pen and decided for the amount of money we're going to drop tomorrow at Home Depot, he needed a more aristocratic name. :)
I'm SOOOOOO glad you found him and got him out of the desert. Now he will get good hydration, food and warm nights.

Good luck with the enclosure, and please ask any questions that might come up. We are all happy to help you figure this all out, and there is an awful lot of bad advice out there on the web, from vets, breeders, and from "experts".

I just drove home from Mesa last night. I LOVE AZ. Great tortoise weather most of the year.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Wow.

I didn't realize it was that bad. I wouldn't have thought it wouldn't be that difficult to find them homes.
Take a look at Craigslist in California & Texas, owner/breeders are offering trays & trays of hatchlings. If buyers don't know much about how big they get, you can imagine why it's much harder to re-sell one that weighs 15-50 lbs vs. a cute hatchling.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Congratulations on being adopted by your sullie!
This thread will help you with diet

lynnefay

OREGON
Handsome!!!! Congratulations, what a neat story, and companion, you will always have:)