HELP! Sulcata acting weird!!

alexgrey

Location (City and/or State)
indonesia
hello, I just got a baby Sulcata one month ago. He was doing fine and we are doing everything according to the instructions, but 3 days ago he stopped eating. He still drinks when I bask him. we’ve noticed his anus is a bit abnormal but we’re not sure if it is normal/not. he’s having a hard time opening his left eye, it’s kind of twitchy. he won’t poop as well. sometimes when I lift him he’s twitching, and his carapas are softer than usual. despite everything he is still active. should I be worried?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

You are doing everything "according to the directions". That is probably the problem here.

Unfortunately, most of the info available on sullies is old, outdated, and just plain wrong. Add to that the fact that the huge majority of sully breeders start them out all wrong, and it's a wonder any of them survive.

What kind of a UVB light are you using? If it screws into a socket, it is the wrong kind. Curly, cfl, type UVB bulbs can burn the eyes of baby torts, but usually it affects both eyes. If you have a screw in UVB bulb, turn it off and leave it off. He'll be fine without it for a few days. If it is hot and sunny there, take him outside for an hour twice a week. That will supply all the UVB he needs.

Read this care sheet, and compare it to your "directions". This care sheet is the most up-to-date, accurate info available on raising a sully. Then please come back and ask questions on this same thread, for better continuity. Compare temps, humidity, type of enclosure, lights and heat. These conditions are what you are working for.

It would also be helpful if you would post some pictures of your enclosure and lights etc.

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hello, I just got a baby Sulcata one month ago. He was doing fine and we are doing everything according to the instructions, but 3 days ago he stopped eating. He still drinks when I bask him. we’ve noticed his anus is a bit abnormal but we’re not sure if it is normal/not. he’s having a hard time opening his left eye, it’s kind of twitchy. he won’t poop as well. sometimes when I lift him he’s twitching, and his carapas are softer than usual. despite everything he is still active. should I be worried?
That sounds pretty bad. Most breeders don't start this species correctly, and then they tell buyers all the wrong info. Just guessing here.