Help!! (stopped eating)

leaf2002

5 Year Member
One of my 9 months old tortoises has suddenly stopped eating. She is slightly limping and is showing signs of pyramiding where the other tortoise who lives in the same environment is not.
She won't eat anything and just walks away when I offer food to her. She also never seems to eat any cuttlefish bone or any of the calcium powder we put on her food.
Her basking spot is 32 c and her cool end is 21 c.Her substrate is topsoil and we feed her dandelions and chicory and rocket and a variety of lettuce. Her humidity ranges from 50-60%.
Don't know what's gone wrong?
If she doesn't eat tomorrow then we are planning to take her to the vet.
Please advise on what to do.
Thank you in advance.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
When I hear of a tortoise that has stopped eating my first thought is it is too cool. My second thought is that it is stressed. The limping could be from an injury and that is stressing your tortoise. There could be some bullying going on (even without overt aggression) that has caused the stress. Or, there is a combination of too cold, an injury, and stress. One of your two tortoises will get the best warm spot, the best basking spot for the longest time, the best of everything and the other will just wish he were some place else. The stress of wanting to get away from the other tortoise can cause it to stop eating and become lethargic. Your tortoises might be getting to an age where they need to be separated.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Please advise on what to do.

Separate the two...create two individual enclosures and let the ailing tort recover....set up all lighting, soaking, food dishes and substrate identical to what you have them both in now....all that you describe is classic signs of a tort that is being bullied and is highly stressed, if the stress continues the tortoise will die.