Help stabilizing burrow

TortloverPM

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Coral Florida
So I'm the new parent of a sulcata. I'm currently working on digging him a burrow in a conveniently protected area of our yard and wondered if anyone has any ideas or tips on how to stabilize the walls, etc.. Floridas soil is pretty sandy/rocky. TIA

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
So I'm the new parent of a sulcata. I'm currently working on digging him a burrow in a conveniently protected area of our yard and wondered if anyone has any ideas or tips on how to stabilize the walls, etc.. Floridas soil is pretty sandy/rocky. TIA

No reason to dig a burrow really. If you create a nice-sized enclosure & include a nice @Tom’s heated night box, there really isnt a need to dig a burrow for your tort. If you provide all the right externals, & food & water & enclosure & hide, your Sully will be fine w/o the burrow.

Upload some pix of your Sully & enclosure for tips n ideas.

How old/large is your Sully?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The tortoise should dig the burrow itself. You can start the first foot or two for it in a good area, but let it do the rest. If it collapses, the tortoise will dig/walk out of it. They are made to live underground and the only problem they would run into is if it was too cold. Which leads me to...

The tortoise can't be allowed to burrow in winter. You'll still need a heated night box for 5-7 months a year. They need to stay around 80 degrees at night. If daytime highs are consistently 90+, they can be allowed to get into the 70s at night, but you shouldn't go any lower than that. I see you have night temps in the 40s right now in your area. That is too cold.