Help! Silicone for Enclosures? Aquarium safe?

koathetort

Location (City and/or State)
Victoria, BC
Hi everyone,

I recently built a new enclosure for my baby leopard tortoise koa, and used the silicone pictured below, “mono silicone pro”. I didn’t realize that there were different types or that there was a specific one for aquariums, but now I’m worried. It was allowed to cure for over a week, probably more like 2-2 and a half weeks, so no issues with it not curing properly. It has something in it, not sure what it is, but on the label it says it’s mould and mildew resistant for 10 years (see the other pic below). Should I strip off the silicone I used and use aquarium silicone? I would have to put koa into the old enclosure for a couple of days, which is too small now. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• AF0492B3-59DE-48FF-A061-A030290FFBFE.png
    AF0492B3-59DE-48FF-A061-A030290FFBFE.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 3
  • E8B1F54F-3A51-4F3A-A323-3BB63F4154E1.png
    E8B1F54F-3A51-4F3A-A323-3BB63F4154E1.png
    826.3 KB · Views: 3

koathetort

Victoria, BC
Unless there are big globs of it in areas where a tortoise might eat it, I'll bet it's fine.
Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it! The container does say “100% silicone” and doesn’t say anything about mould resistance, just gives a 10 year guarantee. I looked up the compound on the back, and it looks to be a polymer cross linker to make the silicone stronger and dry faster. I could be wrong, I don’t know chemical compounds outside of high school chemistry haha

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it! The container does say “100% silicone” and doesn’t say anything about mould resistance, just gives a 10 year guarantee. I looked up the compound on the back, and it looks to be a polymer cross linker to make the silicone stronger and dry faster. I could be wrong, I don’t know chemical compounds outside of high school chemistry haha
I'm sure that once its cured there is no chance of off gassing/fumes causing issues. And it getting eaten is a minimal risk. So. No risks that AQUARIUM silicone wouldn't also have. And that's mostly the fact that it can't be digested.