Help! Sick baby Sulcata ?

Tami_Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
spring valley
I was given a baby Sulcata that fits in the palm of my hand, I was going to give it as a Xmas gift to my daughter. I allowed my older daughter to hold it as soon as I got it home (a friend got it from a breeder?) And she noticed it would make a popping sound when trying to breathe and it looks like the tongue is kind of sticking out? I have an appointment with an emergency vet but I can't afford it? I read it could be food stuck in the mouth/throat? It's so small I can't even get in there....I soaked it and it loves the water. It hasn't pooped/peed in 2 days, there was poop stuck all to it's butt around the tail and packed into the shell...I cleaned it out and it's face looked black because if food stuck all over it so I took a q-tip and washed it all off...well more than scrubbing with 30 q-tip's. Poor baby....I have a repti heat lamp for it and a 15 gallon tank lined with paper towels because I want to see if it poops/pees!! I don't think this thing has ever seen water.....it opens it's mouth a lot and makes a weird noise and looks like the tongue is sticking out....I bet it's food. My husband cheated last year so I left and I'm on welfare for the first time ever, my friends are trying to help save my xmas with gifts my kids wanted and now I have a dying tortoise ??? please pray for this lil thing, it doesn't have a name yet, was gonna let the kids name it but if it survives, we gotta figure out something way cool to name it. I was able to secure a "pledge" from FCIA Helps Pets organization to cover cost of emergency visit for tomorrow!! BUT they won't cover ANY care/meds?? please please pray this doctor has mercy on us and saves my baby and pray it's sometysimple like stuck food and not a respiratory infection ??? any advice is welcome. I have owned EVERYTHING under the sun, but never a tortoise. It's my very first one. The people said I could exchange it and I said, "For WHAT? To suffer and die??? ? Wtf??? No!!! Please please help me....I do not know what I'm doing. I know he need bark, heat and humidity and I made him a hide away if he wants to go in, I'm picking up good veggies tonight!! Anyone have a name for this lil fighter, non gender specific as we don't know the sex yet...too young....please feel free to suggest. Sorry for the long post...I'm an animal freak? lol
Sincerely,
Tami

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tami. Most breeders and sellers simply don't care for this species correctly.

Here is the info you need:

Tami_Tortoise

spring valley
Hi Tami. Most breeders and sellers simply don't care for this species correctly.

Here is the info you need:
Yes, it was FILTHY....old food stuck to it's mouth, poop stuck to it's butt, I cleaned it all off poor baby....I'm trying my best but the breathing thing is concerning and no eating/drinking or bathroom at all?

Tami_Tortoise

spring valley
Yes, it was FILTHY....old food stuck to it's mouth, poop stuck to it's butt, I cleaned it all off poor baby....I'm trying my best but the breathing thing is concerning and no eating/drinking or bathroom at all?
Thank u for the info, I have a buddy who is the top exotic reptile/invertebrate breeder/seller in the US I believe or something crazy...he knows how to properly care for them and is helping me but the medical side is concerning and that's where he gives up and goes to the vet lol, so i have a good vet I'm seeing tomorrow ($110.00 visit?) thank GOD it's paid for by an organization I know of (it pays to rescue animals and give back to ur community because they in turn give back to you) Thank you FCIA Helps Pets!!! Thank u for the tips!!

Herman_WA

Washington
You came to the right place! So sorry about your little tort. I will keep you guys in my prayers. I really don't have any advice for you. I'm sure some of the more experienced tort owners on the site will answer soon.

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
This looks like a respiratory infection. There are many things that can be causing it, I leave that research up to you. As for the name, Robin is one of my non gender specific favorites :) I really do hope your tort is well and am praying for him!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank u for the info, I have a buddy who is the top exotic reptile/invertebrate breeder/seller in the US I believe or something crazy...he knows how to properly care for them and is helping me but the medical side is concerning and that's where he gives up and goes to the vet lol, so i have a good vet I'm seeing tomorrow ($110.00 visit?) thank GOD it's paid for by an organization I know of (it pays to rescue animals and give back to ur community because they in turn give back to you) Thank you FCIA Helps Pets!!! Thank u for the tips!!
Almost no one knows how to care for sulcatas properly outside of this forum. Read that care sheet, and then marvel as your buddy tells you the exact opposite of everything in there.

What you have there is a husbandry issue. There is nothing a vet can do to help that, and most of what they do does harm. Vets just don't know tortoise care. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school, and they learn tortoise care from all the same wrong sources as everyone else.

I know this is a lot to take in, but read that care sheet and then listen to what they tell you. Come back and share with us after your vet appointment. If the vet offers "vitamin injections", Baytril injections" or calcium injections, politely decline, and realize that the person recommending these things does not know tortoise care or how to raise babies. Also telling is when they want to treat the symptoms without discovering and correcting the CAUSE of the symptoms. Let us know how it goes and what you learn.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tami and welcome!

First and foremost, DON'T BUY ANY SUPPLIES BEFORE YOU READ THE CARE SHEET and understand what supplies to buy. Quite a few new tortoise keepers listen to the pet store and buy all the wrong stuff.

A very large plastic tote with a lid will suffice as an enclosure for your new little baby. Then you can cut out holes for the lights and heat to shine through. But get an understanding first of how to set it up and what you need.

Note to members: Is there anyone in the SoCal, Spring Valley area with extra supplies that maybe you can help Tami out?

Tami_Tortoise

spring valley
UPDATE: ITS A BOY!! He has pnuemonia, I took him to an exotic vet this motand he got his first injection of antibiotics and then I give him more and raise the temp in his cage for now till he is better!!! Thanks everyone!!
I was given a baby Sulcata that fits in the palm of my hand, I was going to give it as a Xmas gift to my daughter. I allowed my older daughter to hold it as soon as I got it home (a friend got it from a breeder?) And she noticed it would make a popping sound when trying to breathe and it looks like the tongue is kind of sticking out? I have an appointment with an emergency vet but I can't afford it? I read it could be food stuck in the mouth/throat? It's so small I can't even get in there....I soaked it and it loves the water. It hasn't pooped/peed in 2 days, there was poop stuck all to it's butt around the tail and packed into the shell...I cleaned it out and it's face looked black because if food stuck all over it so I took a q-tip and washed it all off...well more than scrubbing with 30 q-tip's. Poor baby....I have a repti heat lamp for it and a 15 gallon tank lined with paper towels because I want to see if it poops/pees!! I don't think this thing has ever seen water.....it opens it's mouth a lot and makes a weird noise and looks like the tongue is sticking out....I bet it's food. My husband cheated last year so I left and I'm on welfare for the first time ever, my friends are trying to help save my xmas with gifts my kids wanted and now I have a dying tortoise ??? please pray for this lil thing, it doesn't have a name yet, was gonna let the kids name it but if it survives, we gotta figure out something way cool to name it. I was able to secure a "pledge" from FCIA Helps Pets organization to cover cost of emergency visit for tomorrow!! BUT they won't cover ANY care/meds?? please please pray this doctor has mercy on us and saves my baby and pray it's sometysimple like stuck food and not a respiratory infection ??? any advice is welcome. I have owned EVERYTHING under the sun, but never a tortoise. It's my very first one. The people said I could exchange it and I said, "For WHAT? To suffer and die??? ? Wtf??? No!!! Please please help me....I do not know what I'm doing. I know he need bark, heat and humidity and I made him a hide away if he wants to go in, I'm picking up good veggies tonight!! Anyone have a name for this lil fighter, non gender specific as we don't know the sex yet...too young....please feel free to suggest. Sorry for the long post...I'm an animal freak? lol
Sincerely,
Tami

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
That's great! As you are doing right now, keep an eye on him and make read that care sheet. Almost everyone here is helpful and compassionate and we are always here if you need help!

Tami_Tortoise

spring valley
Hi Tami and welcome!

First and foremost, DON'T BUY ANY SUPPLIES BEFORE YOU READ THE CARE SHEET and understand what supplies to buy. Quite a few new tortoise keepers listen to the pet store and buy all the wrong stuff.

A very large plastic tote with a lid will suffice as an enclosure for your new little baby. Then you can cut out holes for the lights and heat to shine through. But get an understanding first of how to set it up and what you need.

Note to members: Is there anyone in the SoCal, Spring Valley area with extra supplies that maybe you can help Tami out?
You are SO kind. It has pnuemonia and is on medication now but I DO need a 125 watt heat bulb the vet said could be from home depot. My boyfriend is buying me a heating pad because I have to create a "hospital box" for him and keep him between 90-100 degrees, when sick they can't thermoregulate so vet says to keep him in a small area where it can't escape the heat, he also says no substrate only paper towels or newspaper as babies till they are old enough to go outside!! In San Diego we are humid enough so no need to spritz with water to keep humid and to soak in like warm water for 30 mins up to chin level each day. I have to inject meds every 3 days for 10 doses with a needle into his skin. Poor baby!! Should be feeling better soon!! Thanks everyone!!