Help! Should I take my three toed box turtle to the vet?

PrinceCheese

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hello!

I was recently given a three toed box turtle that was my sister's pet for several years. This was her first turtle and unfortunately she didn't know how to care for him properly. He was being kept inside all the time. His UVB light was way past doe for a replacement. His temperature wasn't being monitored. The tank wasn't being misted. His water dish wasn't being changed regularly, and he was being fed mostly pellets. He was also given wild caught earthworms and slugs, as she wasn't aware of the risk they may carry parasites. I'm sure he's been in hibernation mode for a few years now. I'm also new to turtles, but I've been doing my research and trying to correct his living conditions and diet. I'm wondering if he should be taken to a vet that could spot issues he may have that I'm not aware of. However, I'm not sure if that's necessary, and all he needs is better care. If someone could take a look at these pictures and give me advice, that would be super appreciated!

Thanks so much!

unnamed (1).jpgunnamed (2).jpgunnamed (3).jpgunnamed.jpg

Also! I recently noticed he's got this white line of soft tissue on his plastron. Is this shell rot? Thanks so much!
IMG_0652.jpgIMG_0653.jpg

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I would not take him to the vet I would get his care all corrected and watch to see him active and eating and go from there. I think The white line you are seeing is the hinge that makes it so he can close his shell. If that is what you are seeing that is normal.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
how is the turtle pooping? my only concern would be if he needs to be dewormed, particularly depending on the source of the turtle

PrinceCheese

CA
I would not take him to the vet I would get his care all corrected and watch to see him active and eating and go from there. I think The white line you are seeing is the hinge that makes it so he can close his shell. If that is what you are seeing that is normal.

Thanks so much for your advice!

What would you suggest I look out for while observing him? Any red flags for common illnesses that I should be aware of? I've been caring for him for about three weeks or so and he's already been doing much better. His colors have been brightening up, he's become active all day, basking, soaking, and he eats well. Although, I have had some trouble getting him to eat his vegetables. I'm not sure how often or how much I need to feed him though. I believe he was being underfed before, so I've been giving him about four or five super worms, six or so mealworms, and a variety of veggies everyday. On occasion I also give him a bit of fruit. Does that sound right or would you suggest I change something? I know a varied diet is best for any animal.

Thanks so much!

PrinceCheese

CA
how is the turtle pooping? my only concern would be if he needs to be dewormed, particularly depending on the source of the turtle

Thanks for your help! He was purchased from a reptiles hobbyist pet store and I'm sure is captive bred. However, after my sister got him he was fed wild caught earthworms often. I'm actually not sure about his poop. I've only been caring for him for about three weeks, and I've been on the lookout for it, but haven't seen much. I was under the impression they go in their water dish, but I've only seen poop there a few times. Mostly it's a few small brown nuggets, once there was a large whitish one though. Is this normal? Am I looking in the wrong place, and what should I be on the lookout for to determine if he has worms?

Thank you!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA