Help! (Scared tortoise)

Eringarbe

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hello. I just had a question about my tortoise.
I don't handle him a lot all I do is pet his back and lift him out on the ground sometimes. When I do pet him sometimes he hisses and gats scared and runs away trying to hide from me.
Is he just not comfortable? Am I doing something wrong?
Another question in his wrinkles he is dirty. With handling him he's so scared so I don't know how to clean him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some tortoises always act scare and some get used to human touch. They all almost always will pull legs and head kn if startled.
I always handled my tortoises a lot when I first got them so they would be comfortable if I ever needed to take them to a vet or when I just needed to check them over to be sure they were okay.
Some people say don't handle much, others including me, say the opposite.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I would try getting him gradually used to being handled by picking him up briefly every day and offering something he really likes to eat while he is in your hand - after a while he might learn to associate your hand with food, and accept being held for a few moments - then you can get him to stay for longer each time. It takes patience, but it is worth it.
Angie

maggie3fan

PacificNorthWest
Idk.....need more info..runs away? My sulcata does a DEF hiss and means it.
Nope wrong. It is simply air escaping as he is surprised or otherwise and sucks in...seriously
@Yvonne, @Tom, @Mark84...those are 3 of our most knowledgeable members...
So you 'experts' do tortoises hiss like a cat on purpose...or is it air escaping????
hmmmmm?

maggie3fan

PacificNorthWest
Nope wrong. It is simply air escaping as he is surprised or otherwise and sucks in...seriously
@Yvonne, @Tom, @Mark84...those are 3 of our most knowledgeable members...
So you 'experts' do tortoises hiss like a cat on purpose...or is it air escaping????
hmmmmm?
And...one of my favorite 'experts'... the infamous worldwide expert...the beautiful and funny...my friend (ahhh what's her name)??? oph my...

TortoiseSupply.com