Help! Russian escaped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StellaRT

5 Year Member
My RT escaped, for real, for the first time today. I was gone for a little under an hour and when I came back, she was not in her outdoor enclosure. It's a temporary one made of garden edging. I looked all over my yard, behind my yard, drove all around, and crawled on my hands and knees in the shrubs in my yard. No Stella. I know no predator or person got her because my sulcata was in his pen.
It's been over 2 hours now since I noticed she was missing and I am so sad. I plan on getting up early and putting some carrots and apple outside, her favorites, and look around where I did tonight to hopefully catch her sunning. If I can't find her in the morning, I will flyer my neighborhood. I am worried sick about her. Does anyone have any advice??ImageUploadedByTortForum1378952021.122714.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry to hear this for you. Sounds like you have everything covered on what you did and what you plan to do. Also, let the area vet or reptile vet know and your local animals shelter. Also, don't forget to feel around. They can hide and bury themselves and not leave a sign. Good luck, fingers crossed for you. Please keep us posted.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
What direction does your Russian usually try to go when you put him outdoors? Odds are he has hidden under a bush or vegetation nearby; check in the direction that would look safe from the torts point of view.

Another possibility is that the tort dug under the grass and is still in the enclosure. Feel along the edge for a lump or a soft spot where he dug into entered the grass.

I've also read of people watering the area to bring the tort out of the ground.

Good luck.

StellaRT

5 Year Member
Thank you both for your replies.
When she has gotten out in the past, I've found her huddled in a couple of corners and also under the shrubs in my back yard. She hasn't dug much for me, she prefers to hide under leaves. It got dark really soon after I got back so a lot of my looking time was with a flash light. I have high hopes for tomorrow morning!
I also posted in my local wives page about her missing, I'm hoping she comes back safely!

StellaRT

5 Year Member
You'll never believe, but she came back already! I took my dog out to use the bathroom so I decided one last time I'd check the fence line. And there she was, asleep under a small limb with several dead leaves on it! I distinctly remember moving that branch twice in my initial search and she was at an angle where she could have only got there from outside the fence. I am so relieved to get her back!
Now off to Lowes tomorrow to get her permanent pen!ImageUploadedByTortForum1378961295.206868.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
that fencing is way to short to hold her in. :-(
so buy some boards or cinder blocks and then also secure the corners..
glad you found her..

StellaRT

5 Year Member
Laura, the picture I just posted is where I found her at, she was sleep under the bottom of my chain link fence. But yes, her temporary pen is way too short, today was just the first day she decided to show me so. I will be making her an impenetrable fortress tomorrow ;)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: RE: Help! Russian escaped!

StellaRT said:
Laura, the picture I just posted is where I found her at, she was sleep under the bottom of my chain link fence. But yes, her temporary pen is way too short, today was just the first day she decided to show me so. I will be making her an impenetrable fortress tomorrow ;)

Lol impenetrable fortress....she is looking forward to the challenge! ;)

So happy to hear you found her!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Glad you found her. I know what it is like to hunt for an escapee..I also know what it is like to hunt for one that has not escaped. These little buggers can be tricky. They are great at hiding right in front of your eyes.

No more unsupervised out time now...or at least not without a taller enclosure.

laclone

5 Year Member
Collegeville, PA.
Hi Stella,

I'm glad she returned home for you!

Don't forget that she can dig under a fence, just like Bugs Bunny making a left-turn at Albuquerque!

I recommend when you go to Lowes, get, or if they don't have it in stock at the time, just order it online there (free shipping that way), enough of this ( Lowes item number #149379) to go all the way around the perimeter .

It makes a 6 inch deep, underground fence. Then just build SuperTort's Fortress Of Solitude on top of it.
It'll take some serious digging on her part to escape that way again.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_149379-2313...ct_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=#BVRRWidgetID

L

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
laclone said:
Hi Stella,

I'm glad she returned home for you!

Don't forget that she can dig under a fence, just like Bugs Bunny making a left-turn at Albuquerque!

I recommend when you go to Lowes, get, or if they don't have it in stock at the time, just order it online there (free shipping that way), enough of this ( Lowes item number #149379) to go all the way around the perimeter .

It makes a 6 inch deep, underground fence. Then just build SuperTort's Fortress Of Solitude on top of it.
It'll take some serious digging on her part to escape that way again.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_149379-2313...ct_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=#BVRRWidgetID

L

Thanks for this tip as I want to expand my outdoor space but need to put something along the fence first. This looks easy :)

Check us out on Facebook
www.facebook.com/mrturtle527

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Whew, so glad you got her back! You got very, very lucky...

I wouldn't trust any thin plastic fence to keep my tortoises in... unless the soil is VERY rocky, I would dig at least 12" down to put in a barrier (made of plastic or of pavers or something), and then I'd make the wall at least 12" tall, with corner caps. Anything they can tip over or climb up... RTs will find a way. They have some serious Houdini skills.

Happy building! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.