Help! Rocky is acting weird

tortoise42

Location (City and/or State)
Utah,US
So just yesterday I was just doing my thing and having fun, when I went to my room to check on rocky he had dug up his whole enclosure everything was misplaced and I had to put it all back. Later that night at about 10:00 he was still awake, I don't know what the cause of this would be I feel like it could mean that i'm not paying enough attention to him. I'm planning to build an outdoor enclosure for him I do nit know if that will do anything.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
So just yesterday I was just doing my thing and having fun, when I went to my room to check on rocky he had dug up his whole enclosure everything was misplaced and I had to put it all back. Later that night at about 10:00 he was still awake, I don't know what the cause of this would be I feel like it could mean that i'm not paying enough attention to him. I'm planning to build an outdoor enclosure for him I do nit know if that will do anything.
Hi!

What kind of tortoise is Rocky? How big is he, and what are the dimensions of his enclosure? What kind of substrate is he on? Have you made any changes to his enclosure, the room he's in?

Sorry for all the questions, but I think the answers may help to figure out the reason he's upset.

Reactions: Tom

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Your tort might be too hot or too cold, or the enclosure is too bright, or you are using a CFL type bulb. Lots of reasons. Snsp some pix of your enclosure, note the lights and temps too. Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm assuming this is the Russian tortoise that you got for Christmas? If so, Russians are prolific diggers. They dig to find a safe place to rest, They dig to escape the heat. They dig to get down to moister earth. They dig trying to escape an enclosure. They dig if they're enclosed in a too small space. They dig. And in the process, they really mess up their enclosure.

tortoise42

Utah,US
And I also don't know if 60 gallons is correct because we have a fish tank that is 40 gallons and it looks way smaller

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
How big should it be
The bigger the better, but an adult Russian should have an indoor tortoise table that is at least 8x4. Of course a spacious area outside for fresh air, natural sun, and exercise would also benefit the tortoise.

I keep my Russian babies (under a year old) in separate tortoise tables that are 4x2, and cover them with a shower curtain to maintain the correct temperatures and high humidity.