Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Indotestudio comes from 'Indo' for India and 'testudo' for turtle. As the name implies, these tortoises are from southern Asia, if not always specifically India. The are forest and omnivorous tortoises, much like the red-footed. It probably originally ranged throughout southern India and southeast Asia, but like other species (also such as the red-footed) saw its habitat become fragmented as the climate in the region changed over time. All three species are under pressure from hunting (as food and for the pet trade) as well as habitat loss. Besides that, they are in ingredient in a concoction used by oriental men to restore 'vitality'- a dangerous status for many species around the world. Forsten's and the Travancore are considered endangered- most known Forsten's tortoises are in captivity or preserved.

I only noticed two typo's and have marked them here...

The should be They, I believe, and
In should be an, I believe.

I found the reading to be informative and I enjoyed it.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Forstenii lay only 1-2 eggs per clutch. In ten years time I have never seen a clutch greater than two.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Heres some elongated photos they are nesters too, but in a different respect than the manouria. They will burrow on the forest floor during the day and come out late afternoon, and early early morning. This is why there eyes are so big for a more acute visual sense in darker hours. Making them a crepuscular species wheras most other species are diurnal (active during the day).

Status
Not open for further replies.