Help regarding buying right type of tube lights

EccoGalaxy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
I think I discussed this in my last thread within Russian Tortoises category, but I think it would be more suitable in the enclosure lighting section instead.

I wanted to start switching from the UVB coil compact bulb, to the UVB tube light. And since the bundles are pricey, I wanted to ensure I'm getting the right types. Since it's my first time buying these, I'm not too confident on it.

This is the light bulb I was going for:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Exo-Terra-...d=1529251905&sr=1-1&keywords=5.0+tube+14+watt

Getting the bulb itself I'm more fine with as 15 inches seems about right for my enclosure. I'm going for 14 watts. However, what I was questioning is the actual vivarium controller/plug outlet.

This is the one I found:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002UDT...93bd8e48638c&ie=UTF8&qid=1529242406&sr=1&th=1

It's called the Dry Vivarium Controller, and it states "the product is only designed for dry vivaria, and is not suitable for vivariums incorporating misters, rain systems or standing water". I'm not sure if it'd be too suitable for my enclosure since I tend to keep the substrate moist by spraying water daily, and I also have a water bowl there too. But that seems to be the only option that I found other than the "Ultra Seal Vivarium" which is for aquariums so that's out of the question. If the dry vivarium truly isn't suitable, then I've wondered if there are any good plug connectors for the tube light that's suitable for a Russian Tortoise that is okay with moist substrate or water dishes, since I've not really found much at the moment.

As for attaching the tube light to the enclosure, I'm wondering if there's casing for the back of the tube light, to prevent burning on the wooden surface. I thought of the reflector for tube lights at first, but I'm not too sure.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Komodo-Tub...29252405&sr=1-2&keywords=tube+light+reflector

My other alternative was the MVB, and if I was to go with that route I thought of getting something like this, since I've heard that it's best to keep the MVB over 30cm away from the Tortoise in height distance. Though I'm leaning more towards the light tubes at the moment.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Komodo-L...639391?hash=item3f6acb2b1f:g:s68AAOSwySlZ803b

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi, for my Russian I use a10% desert lamp. I would think 5% is not going to give enough UVB and are often aimed at forest species.
I would go with the Reptiglow 10%
Also the vivarium controller should be fine. That’s the exact one I use and my humidity is around 80% and I’ve not had any issues.you can get the water tight one it’s slightly more expensive. The ballast sits outside of the enclose so it doesn’t overheat the enclosure.
I attached mind with cable ties but there are a variety of ways. What is the top of your enclose like? Table or vivarium?

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Sorry forgot to add, the tube bulb does not get hot. Mine is on all day and I can still handle it with bare hands. Mine was initially screwed to the top of the Viv with these
IMG_1529253125.379936.jpg

The idea worked absolutely fine it was just that it was too high from top of Tort so I’ve just suspended the bulb with a reflector with cable ties

EccoGalaxy

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Hi, for my Russian I use a10% desert lamp. I would think 5% is not going to give enough UVB and are often aimed at forest species.
I would go with the Reptiglow 10%
Also the vivarium controller should be fine. That’s the exact one I use and my humidity is around 80% and I’ve not had any issues.you can get the water tight one it’s slightly more expensive. The ballast sits outside of the enclose so it doesn’t overheat the enclosure.
I attached mind with cable ties but there are a variety of ways. What is the top of your enclose like? Table or vivarium?

I see, I'll look out for 10.0 tube bulbs, I'm assuming those have 10%, I may be wrong though.

I attached a picture of my enclosure. The top isn't really covered at the moment. The reason I was looking at the vivarium controller since they are the only who's I saw that connects the tube light to a plug outlet.

I know it does have a UVB coil bulb, and I'm hoping to replace that annoying thing as soon as possible XD

Attachments

• DSCF5690.JPG
    DSCF5690.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 20

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
There are cheaper ones from a DIY store but I’ve no idea what to look for in the electrical department. If I were you I would connect 2 pieces of wood each side and hang it from there.

IMG_1529253421.039602.jpg

EccoGalaxy

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
There are cheaper ones from a DIY store but I’ve no idea what to look for in the electrical department. If I were you I would connect 2 pieces of wood each side and hang it from there.

View attachment 242225

That seems like a good idea, I may consider that, especially for something like the basking bulb since I remember I was told before that they're better pointed downwards rather than an angle. Thank u for the help =)

I'm hoping the dry vivarium plug will be okay to use for my enclosure. Unless there's a basic plug outlet for tube lights without the dry or ultra seal gimmicks to them :eek:

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
The dry one will be absolutely fine. I use it in a vivarium which is much more humid than your table. And yes, lights should point down not at an angle.

EccoGalaxy

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
The dry one will be absolutely fine. I use it in a vivarium which is much more humid than your table. And yes, lights should point down not at an angle.

I see, that's a relief to hear. Thank u for the help =)

On an unrelated note, it's my Tortoise's birthday tomorrow (or hatch day). She will be 2 years old.

EccoGalaxy

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Bump

Does anyone know if a 10.0 tube light is suitable for my Tortoise enclosure even if the enclosure is only around 75cm wide, or would 5.0 be better for that instead? I know that's quite small at the moment, and I plan to get a bigger enclosure later in the year hopefully.

Oh, and it's Gretta's birthday today! She's officially 2 years old. I gotten her some house plants (African Violet) as a present, and seeds for other safe to eat house plants too.

Wolfpackin

Colorado
Bump

Does anyone know if a 10.0 tube light is suitable for my Tortoise enclosure even if the enclosure is only around 75cm wide, or would 5.0 be better for that instead? I know that's quite small at the moment, and I plan to get a bigger enclosure later in the year hopefully.

Oh, and it's Gretta's birthday today! She's officially 2 years old. I gotten her some house plants (African Violet) as a present, and seeds for other safe to eat house plants too.

It depends on if the bulb is a T5 or T8 tube and what distance it will be hung above the tortoise.

The T8 10.0 generally needs to be fairly close and provides pretty decent UVI readings at about 6-8 inches
The T5 10.0 needs to be much farther away from the animal, sometimes +18 inches, unless it is filtered by screen.

According to my research the T8 5.0 provides very little useful UVB for sun basking reptiles.
The T5 5.0 could be an option if distances are in the 8-12" range.

It's all a guessing game without a UV meter and you need to know the Ferguson Zone and basking habits of the species in order to know the desired UVI levels.

IMO,
The distance of your light fixtures from the animal, and basking habits of the species, should determine what type of UV bulb you use.
The size of your enclosure L x W should determine the length and/or number of the bulbs you use.

How's that for my third post?

EccoGalaxy

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Thank you everyone for your informative replies, they have helped me out =)

The tube light arrived today, and this is the set-up so far which I attached. I know it looks a bit awkward, but trust me it's probably the best set-up I think, it's better to place it on the side than directly behind the heat lamp, which I don't want to do incase if it's dangerous. Overall, the bulb and connector itself costed £30 in total from eBay, part of the Arcadia brand. The bulb alone may have been £10.

One thing that happened, however, is that the tube light ended up having a slight scratch on the end of it. I took a photograph though it's not too visible there, the crack is slightly visible though its a lot thinner than how it appears in that picture. I'm hoping that crack isn't a dangerous indication, if it is I'll have to buy another bulb.

A funny thing happened too, the day I got my tube light and decided to unscrew my old coil compact bulb, I noticed the bottom plastic of it had cracks and when I poked it the plastic surface shattered to pieces. Those bulbs are not only awful but also fragile XD

Attachments

• 20180621_121018.jpg
    20180621_121018.jpg
    816.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180621_121031.jpg
    20180621_121031.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

EccoGalaxy

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Okay, this is frustrating. I've heard that you're supposed to avoid getting any water or liquid on the tube light at all times. I haven't done that, but I now thought that it'll be impossible for me to spray water on the substrate now in order to make it less dry incase if I was to accidentally get water on the tube regardless of the direction I point.

Last edited:

daniellenc

Maryland
Okay, this is frustrating. I've heard that you're supposed to avoid getting any water or liquid on the tube light at all times. I haven't done that, but I now thought that it'll be impossible for me to spray water on the substrate now in order to make it less dry incase if I was to accidentally get water on the tube regardless of the direction I point.
It looks like you could just pick the tube up, spray, and put it back.

EccoGalaxy

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
It looks like you could just pick the tube up, spray, and put it back.

I think that's probably what I'll have to do from now on D: Does anyone know if coil UVB bulbs and MVB bulbs are just as water sensitive as tube lights? Just out of curiosity.

I would probably get a reflector for that tube. They are really cheap but it will stop it shining in your face.

Hmm... I did have a reflector on my wishlist, I was planning on getting one at some point.