Help regarding Breed Identification and Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riddhi

5 Year Member

Hello everyone,

I am attaching herein the image of my Tortoise. This one is a male. I have another one which is supposedly a female. About a month ago, I was gifted these by a very dear friend of mine. They are presumably 7 month old exotic tortoises. There few major concerns I have when it comes to these little angles.

1. I am unsure which breed they belong to (Both are identical, hence I'm assuming they're of the same breed, which one, I am unsure. They resemble to Russian Tortoises very much) Can anyone help me Identify their breed?

2. The male tortoise has developed a certain cold for I have been feeding them with Cucumber lately. Having spoken to the vet, I have changed his diet and moved to cabbage, Tomatoes and Carrots. Is there anything else I should be doing?

3. The Male Tortoise is eating healthy but the female seems to be stealing an awful lot of naps lately. The male has been recorded lethargic too but still manages to grab a bite before its nap. The female has stopped eating and sleeps all the time inspite of being woken up repeatedly. If this is because they are at the stage of Hibernation, please suggest effective measures. I come from India and the weather conditions are humid. What should I be doing differently.

Also, I have been wondering why both have been behaving differently at different times. I am new to breeding tortoises in captivity and the mere thought of losing a pet scares me senseless. Please help :)

Attachments

• IMG-20111110-00189.jpg
    IMG-20111110-00189.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 37

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Riddhi:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I think your tortoise is a Star tortoise, not a Russian. And just for the sake of being correct, its a species, not a breed. :D

I'm guessing you're not in the U.S., huh? In that case it will be hard for me to tell you what to feed your tortoise because what we have available to us here in the States is different from what you find in your produce market in your country.

We feed our tortoises dark, leafy greens like endive, escarole, dandilion, clover, grass and weeds.

Be sure to keep the tortoises warm. They won't eat unless they can warm up to above 80 degrees. So its best to have a light over one end of the habitat.

May we know your name and where you are?

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
I would say a star tortoise :)
Welcome to the forum. He is gorgeous.

Where abouts in the world are you? For us to help you with diet etc.
Yvonne gives some very good advice. Not much I can add as I don't know much about star tortoises I'm afraid.

Riddhi

5 Year Member
Hi Guys,
I come from Bombay, India. My name is Riddhi, just as my username suggests.
@Emysemys: About the Breed and the Species mishap, my bad. Allow me the benefit of doubt for being an Indian :p
Appreciate your tip on keeping them warm, will start working on it immediately. Also, my vet stresses on how I should be avoiding packaged food and providing them with fruits, vegetables and plants instead. Considering we've now recognized the 'SPECIES' is there a specific diet you would like to suggest?
@stephiiberrybean: He sure is gorgeous. Appreciate the warm welcome. looking forward to hearing from Yvonne in this case :)

Also, I am enjoying every thread in this Forum. Its a beautifully moderated community.
Haven't read a lot about star tortoises in the process of mistaking them to be of different belonging. Will begin as soon as possible. Can you guys help me create a conducive and healthy habitat for Hibernation?
Also, as a first timer, what are the things I should be worrying about? These Tortoises are 7 months old and I'm afraid they're not ready for hibernation just yet.

Also, is there anything specific that should be laying off when it comes to their diet?

Love you guys for the efficiency and feedback. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know that much about star tortoises, but I don't think they hibernate. I DO know that they don't tolerate cold very well. Any dark, leafy greens that you can buy in the store will be fine to feed.

We have several star keepers here on the forum that will come in and help with your question, but to be sure those folks see it, it might be a good idea to ask the question again in the star tortoise area here on the forum.

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi and welcome...as well as keeping them warm they'll need a light on them for 12 hrs a day.

Riddhi

5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne,

Appreciate the feedback yet again. Will try reading up about Star Tortoises and get back to you people with my queries. In all this time, I've learnt that these are originally of Indian belonging and thus my worry of them adjusting to the weather have taken a back seat. I feel more relieved than ever.

Regards,
R

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
What a nice Star your very lucky to have been gifted with two of these beauties since they are not cheap to purchase in these parts :) I look forward to many pictures of your new babies and plenty of updates! Congrats and welcome! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.