HELP!!!!! Redfoot whistling! Need some opinions!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I kinda think you are over reacting. We mostly thought you were moving to Indiana, too cold for most Redfoots. Some of the keepers thought it might be better to leave him in a warmer climate. That what 'fostering' is, one person takes care of the tortoise temporarily, then when you are ready you take him back. I have done that a number of times, it's no big thing. Remember, we cannot 'make' you leave him behind.
Now I am gonna give MY opinion as far as the tortoise is concerned, it sounds to me like he might have an Upper Respiratory Tract Infection, or a dry leaf up his nose.
There are several members here who have decided that a tortoise gets stressed if we change their routine much, or travel with them or let them out in the snow. One of our most revered chelonian experts decided that tortoises get stressed by too much moving, and his minions simply mouth his words and make it fact. No one has proven that to me however. I have traveled a lot with tortoises, I didn't see any popping anxiety pills, or crying into a pillow. I take my cat when I go, he's on a harness and leash. I raised a few tortoises and turtles in big glass aquariums, they didn't seem troubled by it, but the experts say they bang their heads and keep trying to escape, but that is NOT my experience
So I still disagree, I put any chelonian in a dark lidded box with a latching lid and my traveling tortoises sleep the whole time.
So I'm sorry you experts, you still haven't showed me that they actually do get stressed at moving. My tortoises don't get sick from traveling with me, they adapt well to a new temporary enclosure, with heat light etc. They don't ever stop eating.
So now you have seen more ways to go. Good luck
This has not been what I've observed. I agree that this is very harmful.

Just a 20 minute trip to the vet has any of my Redfoot panicked and pooping all over themselves.
A stressed tortoise is soon a sick tortoise.
Any big change is traumatic for them
I do agree that you should try to provide a box that the tort feels familiar with.
It should help a lot.

Last edited:

SoCalGreek

Southern California
I am by no means an expert, but just wanted to share an observation. In the picture you’ve shared, the opening of one of the nares is super tiny in comparison to the other. I wonder if that small opening could cause a whistling sound?
I didn’t notice that at first, but I see it now too. It honestly looks like dried banana in his right nostril and is definitely one reason (if not the reason) why he is whistling. I have no idea what one would do about it at this point though. Good luck!

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
One of our most revered chelonian experts decided that tortoises get stressed by too much moving, and his minions simply mouth his words and make it fact. No one has proven that to me however. I have traveled a lot with tortoises, I didn't see any popping anxiety pills, or crying into a pillow. I take my cat when I go, he's on a harness and leash.

With all due respect, stop saying this.

I own dogs, cats, and a tortoise, have owned many others. To varying degrees they all experience stress when travelling. I know from personal experience that my tortoises behaviour changes when he is away from his enclosure and especially during car rides, that is not because Tom told me it does, I can see it clearly in the torts agitated state and if it isnt able to find the familiar it will hide for days, eating less and basking less. If you want to disagree thats fine, but I object to being called a parrot. Frankly I am more suspicious of an animal owner that claims none of their animals of any species experience any stress from travelling. I have owned lots of different animals over many years and that is just not a credible claim imo.

Terrapin 3

Surprise
My Sonoran Desert Tortoise has always whistled through her nose, even while sleeping. So I don't know if it is stress or a respiratory infection cause I know they can get that, or maybe it's just her thing.