Help!! Outside sulcata, no electricity

Ashley Haran

Location (City and/or State)
salinas
I have a Sulcata tortoise who is around 3 years old. She is a very happy tortoise. Recently, my dad got tired of her taking up space so he moved her outside. Her area is really cute, and has all of the necessary items she needs. Except for heat. My dad (for some reason) does NOT want chords running outside. His main reasoning is "in the world, tortoises dont have heat lamps. She doesn't need it. There is no way I can fight back. Does anyone know how I can keep my little girl warm without electricity? Please help!! Cost is not a problem- I just need help.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Of course, your dad is right. Where Sulcatas originate and roam freely, there is no need for a heat lamp, kane mat or CHE, or even an oil heater (or a night box). They have hot hot weather, monsoon rains, and dig their own deep burrows. Mother Nature provides food, heat, light and shelter.

but, snap back to reality

You guys are on the coast of California - not Khartoum, so you need to help provide your tort optimal living conditions.

Hard to heat a nightbox w/o electricity. Very hard to provide heat with “free” solar energy.

Hope that helps......

Is there a nightbox for your tort to retreat to at night? Upload some pix of the hide & enclosure area.

good luck

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a Sulcata tortoise who is around 3 years old. She is a very happy tortoise. Recently, my dad got tired of her taking up space so he moved her outside. Her area is really cute, and has all of the necessary items she needs. Except for heat. My dad (for some reason) does NOT want chords running outside. His main reasoning is "in the world, tortoises dont have heat lamps. She doesn't need it. There is no way I can fight back. Does anyone know how I can keep my little girl warm without electricity? Please help!! Cost is not a problem- I just need help.
Your dad needs educating on where sulcata tortoises come from. In their African range, there is no cold weather. The sulcata will die if not kept warm. If you can't run an extension cord and have some sort of heat in the tortoise's shelter, then you'll need to bring it in when its cold and at night. If you don't, it will get sick and die. Is that what your dad wants to happen?

Ashley Haran

salinas
Of course, your dad is right. Where Sulcatas originate and roam freely, there is no need for a heat lamp, kane mat or CHE, or even an oil heater (or a night box). They have hot hot weather, monsoon rains, and dig their own deep burrows. Mother Nature provides food, heat, light and shelter.

but, snap back to reality

You guys are on the coast of California - not Khartoum, so you need to help provide your tort optimal living conditions.

Hard to heat a nightbox w/o electricity. Very hard to provide heat with “free” solar energy.

Hope that helps......

Is there a nightbox for your tort to retreat to at night? Upload some pix of the hide & enclosure area.

good luck
Thank you for your reply! Her inside enclosure had a hut with humidity control and a heating lamp, along with a UVB lamp over her food dish. Now.. well she doesnt have any of that. I think her humidity will be alright because I tampered with the soil to give her a few different microclimates. I'm mostly worried about heat. I'll attach a video if what my dad set up for her. She can and most likely will dig out, but dont worry, I'll fix that.

Ashley Haran

salinas
Thank you for your reply! Her inside enclosure had a hut with humidity control and a heating lamp, along with a UVB lamp over her food dish. Now.. well she doesnt have any of that. I think her humidity will be alright because I tampered with the soil to give her a few different microclimates. I'm mostly worried about heat. I'll attach a video if what my dad set up for her. She can and most likely will dig out, but dont worry, I'll fix that.

Ashley Haran

salinas
20200216_132643.jpg
This is what he has right now. She has plenty of water (its deep into the ground so you cant see). She cant climb over, but eventually she will be able to. I'm thinking of maybe getting her a hut. Do you possibly know of any like outside rabbit hutches the are insulated?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You live in a temperate climate. This means cold nights and four seasons. Sulcatas come from a tropical climate. Its warm/hot all the time, day and night, all year long. Your tortoise will not survive without heat. Especially not in February in central CA near the coast. One night is enough to make your tortoise sick and cost hundred of dollars in vet bills.

Your Dad is unfortunately teaching you a lesson in ignorance and animal cruelty. Have him read these comments. What a sad way for a beloved animal to die. This is like putting a freshwater fish in the ocean and expecting it to survive. It can't. Wrong environment. If your dad doesn't want cords running every where, dig a trench and have an electrician install a safe GFI outlet near the area where you'll put the insulated and heated night box.

I'm happy to talk to him on the phone and explain if you think that will help.

Ashley Haran

salinas
You live in a temperate climate. This means cold nights and four seasons. Sulcatas come from a tropical climate. Its warm/hot all the time, day and night, all year long. Your tortoise will not survive without heat. Especially not in February in central CA near the coast. One night is enough to make your tortoise sick and cost hundred of dollars in vet bills.

Your Dad is unfortunately teaching you a lesson in ignorance and animal cruelty. Have him read these comments. What a sad way for a beloved animal to die. This is like putting a freshwater fish in the ocean and expecting it to survive. It can't. Wrong environment. If your dad doesn't want cords running every where, dig a trench and have an electrician install a safe GFI outlet near the area where you'll put the insulated and heated night box.

I'm happy to talk to him on the phone and explain if you think that will help.
Thank you very much for your reply, Tom! I felt that I was right, but I wanted to make sure. I did months of research on which tortoise I wanted and how to care for them. I made sure to have everything set up for Kame before I even bought her! Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, my dad is not one to be reasoned with. When he makes a decision, that's it. If he knew I was going online for help, he would probably give Kame away. So I will try your idea for running chords underground you said? Thank you for you help!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Well, if running electric cords underground is an option......say no more. That is so easily done it’s not ev3n worth discussing. Dig a trench, bury some PVC with your electric cord to the house & enclosure, done.

Ashley Haran

salinas
Well, if running electric cords underground is an option......say no more. That is so easily done it’s not ev3n worth discussing. Dig a trench, bury some PVC with your electric cord to the house & enclosure, done.
Wow, awsome! Thank you for the help, everyone!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First this is animal cruelty and if your dad were turned in he could face fines or jail time, so let him know that one.
If you can't get electric out there because of his ignorance then bring the tortoise in every night or on cooler/cold days.
People shouldn't get animals or allow their kids too if they are just going to abuse or neglect them!
Sorry for my harshness, I know he's your dad, but i have zero use for people like that.