YFprolapse

Cherylp

Location (City and/or State)
Middle village NY
Our yellow footed tortoise was brought to a special exotic pet clinic. They pushed the prolapse in and 10 hours later when she had a soft vowel movement , it was out again . We paid 1,000 dollars in her to know we gave her a good chance . We rescued her from a man who has all exotic pets but never cared for them properly . She is on her way back to the vet as we speak . Ion did the sugar water paste and it helped bro g down the swelling I also applied tons of Vaseline and made a diaper using what the vet did , surgical tape and a paper towel I keep wetting I kept my eye on her. To make sure the dressing was always cleaned and washed away any droppings . The vet gave her all tests blood work and said she has a lot of issues . Her bones are weak because of this jerk that didn’t care for her properly . Despite her health issues she got around and was happy . She is probably over 30 years old a bit lethargic after being traumatized by the vet . We safety prof our home and keep her out of her enclosure during the day . Then she sleeps in her enclosure . The vet said this is just a common occurrence and it’s nothing WE did wrong , but she isn’t the healthiest of tortoises . There were no eggs , no obstructions , however treating a instestinal or colon prolapse is the hardest to cure , the vet which is an exotic clinic onky , explained it may always pop out and there are no guarantees . I gave her , her meds but she is old , the vet explained tortoises are amazing animals they could be dying and there is no way to tell if they are in pain . We want to do the humane thing if this will be an ongoing problem . I am so sad . Only people who have owned a tortoise can understand how smart they are how gentle they are and how loving they are . So I don’t know abt her to live this quality of life . She’s changed from running around following my cat to quiet and not wanting to come out of her enclosure . If a vet is online is it best to do the humane thing and put her to sleep ? As much as we would hate this , I don’t want to watch her suffer . She isn’t even trying to walk .