Help! Newly adopted large Sulcata rams at us and is aggressive towards us

LizzyO

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA
Hello Tortoise people!
I am a brand-new member and am grateful for any and all help!!!!

I live in Sacramento, CA. Two days ago, I adopted a large male (80 + pounds) Sulcata from Tortoise Acres in Anderson, CA.
He was fantastic at the rescue...while at the rescue, I stood in his enclosure with him, no aggression.
We have named him Hank Williams. He is a beautiful and fascinating guy. Picture below.

Since being brought to his new backyard, he chases us and will ram our legs full force, trying to knock us down. He would if he could knock us down if we didn't get out his way. As soon as we do get out of his way, he does a quick 180 turn and charges us again. Wherever we are in the backyard, he will hear us, find us and then try to ram us.

Will this territorial behavior eventually subside? I was really hoping he could just roam in the yard and we could all peaceably coexist when we garden, and access our studio building adjacent to our house.

In the morning he is docile, as he hasn't warmed up yet. I can pet his shell and talk to him. But when his blood is warm enough: lookout!! We have a great backyard with lots of bushes, trees, plants, etc. Fully fenced. Lots of sunny areas and shady hideout areas. We are going to continue to refine the yard for his needs. He's been eating Timothy hay and cactus pads. Past two nights he has slept in our shed. We are building his house this Friday.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!
IMG_6634.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Ha! I'm an artist---that's a sculpture I made....and yes: it is a donkey I made from doilies and such.
Interesting! The picture's not big enough on my Kindle for me to be able to get the full effect.