Help: new unidentified pet...what kind of tortoise?

Scratch5000

Location (City and/or State)
Muscat, Oman
Hi. This is our first post. We are a North American/European family currently living in Muscat, Oman (not far from Dubai). We inherited this tortoise from someone who was moving away but they didn't know what kind of tortoise it was and neither do we. Does anyone know what it is? Depending on what kind it is, we also need to know what kind of heat it can tolerate (it is outdoors in a large cage). Today we have a high of 37 degrees C (98.6 F) with currently 39% humidity. According to my weather app, it feels like 43C (109.4 F). We have been doing loads of reading and watching online but we still aren't sure what it is. Thanks for your help.

IMG_5585.PNGIMG_5586.PNGIMG_5587.PNGIMG_5586.PNGIMG_5587.PNG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree it may be a Greek tortoise.

Looking at his eyes, I'd say he looks a bit dehydrated. Place him into a larger bowl that he can't climb out of and add enough water to come up to the middle of his sides. Allow him to stay in the water for about a half hour and do this daily for a couple weeks. After that, you can just soak him a couple times a week, and keep a waterer in his enclosure so he can drink whenever he wants to.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.....I’m guessing you are State or DOD officer and just moved in. Congrats on the new Posting. That said, please take care of your new buddy/tortoise & provide water, soakings & shade! I had a friend, moved into their house in Amman, inherited two really nice torts......they “forgot” to provide shade in their courtyard & both torts died in the hot sun.

Sooooo, take care of your torts & enjoy Oman. Wonderful place, I’ve been a few times.

Scratch5000

Muscat, Oman
Thank you so much everyone for clarifying what kind of tortoise this little guy is. We actually inherited him last October but just had a few guesses about what he could be. In the past two months (during lockdown) my 4th grade son (who's his main carer) has been researching and told me he thought it was a Greek tortoise but it's great to know for sure!! Thank you!!

Thanks for the advice on soaking, we're doing that now.

We've moved his outdoor cage to a shadier place. Is there a point where it could be too hot for him outside and we should bring him inside? Or are they pretty good with heat? We have some grass in a shallow container, lately he has been burying himself under the grass.

Thanks again.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Nice looking tortoise, congrats!

Scratch5000

Muscat, Oman
I agree it may be a Greek tortoise.

Looking at his eyes, I'd say he looks a bit dehydrated. Place him into a larger bowl that he can't climb out of and add enough water to come up to the middle of his sides. Allow him to stay in the water for about a half hour and do this daily for a couple weeks. After that, you can just soak him a couple times a week, and keep a waterer in his enclosure so he can drink whenever he wants to.

Thanks. We soaked him this morning and will do this each morning as you have suggested. Thanks again!