HELP! New Tort is not looking good.

EazyE13

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I got a new Hermann's tortoise about a few weeks ago. First week seemed fine. Took it a few days to adjust into its new enclosure. I have noticed this week that it is very lethargic and not eating at all. It does seem to perk up when given its bath and when I take it outside to sun bathe for 20 minutes. It's shell does feel softer then the other one that I have as well. Currently in a 2 foot by 3 foot enclosure with a basking lamp and linear uvb bulb. Hideaway temp is roughly 80's during the day and goes down to 70's at night. Basking temp is 95-98 and the tank sits roughly at 85-90 degrees. Substrates is mixed forest floor, coco substrate and organic potting mix. I have been feeding it dandelion, opuntia and mixed greens. I have been giving it baths with organic baby carrot food in hopes that its getting nutrients. It does move its head in and out of its shell when In the water. I have noticed that both torts have begun burrowing under the basking heat. Thanks for the help in advance.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I got a new Hermann's tortoise about a few weeks ago. First week seemed fine. Took it a few days to adjust into its new enclosure. I have noticed this week that it is very lethargic and not eating at all. It does seem to perk up when given its bath and when I take it outside to sun bathe for 20 minutes. It's shell does feel softer then the other one that I have as well. Currently in a 2 foot by 3 foot enclosure with a basking lamp and linear uvb bulb. Hideaway temp is roughly 80's during the day and goes down to 70's at night. Basking temp is 95-98 and the tank sits roughly at 85-90 degrees. Substrates is mixed forest floor, coco substrate and organic potting mix. I have been feeding it dandelion, opuntia and mixed greens. I have been giving it baths with organic baby carrot food in hopes that its getting nutrients. It does move its head in and out of its shell when In the water. I have noticed that both torts have begun burrowing under the basking heat. Thanks for the help in advance.

At the very end, you say “both torts have begun burrowing”.... so, are you keeping a few together in the same enclosure? Did you get them as a pair or are they different ages, etc.

Try to upload a few pix of your setup.

It’s new to you, but is the tort(s) hatchlings or juveniles or adults, etc. Source?

EazyE13

Texas
At the very end, you say “both torts have begun burrowing”.... so, are you keeping a few together in the same enclosure? Did you get them as a pair or are they different ages, etc.

Try to upload a few pix of your setup.

hello, yes I got them as a pair. Sadly the tort passed away yesterday. Not sure what happened. My temps and everything seemed fine. It was fine walking around and eating two days before it died. The breeder sent us another one that’s a lot bigger. Both still baby torts. I have noticed the one he sent us shell is a little soft in the sides like the one that just passed away. Should I clean out the substrate and start all over?

It’s new to you, but is the tort(s) hatchlings or juveniles or adults, etc. Source?

EazyE13

Texas
Hmmm. Okay. I will try lowering them. The temp gauge shows 80 in the hideaway during the day and around 70 at night. The hot spot usually sits around 90-100.

EazyE13

Texas
They have been acting lethargic today but it’s colder here. I took them outside yesterday and they were walking in the grass and very active.

EazyE13

Texas
I’m pretty sure the larger one is on his way to dying too and no idea why. He was laying under the power sun bulb with his arms and head completely out. He usually walks around and eats a ton. Hasn’t done either today. No idea what’s going one. My temps seem fine.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
WHen they lay like that they are exposing as much of there body as possible to the warmth that is being projected. They need to be much warmer ASAP. Once you lowere the lights cover the whole thing lights and all with a showere curtain. Just add some 4x4's under the tub to raise it the easiest.

Opuntia

uk
Did you get all three tortoises at the sometime? Are they all lethargic or just one of them?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Almost everything you mentioned sounds like the animals are kept too cool.
Without a warmer temperature they cannot digest food and will stop eating. Get weak and slowly die.