Help! New to turtles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, AZ
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pet/3344578760.html

Going to get this guy in a few hours. I know he is in a ten gallon tank and I have a bigger one I want to set up for him. What does it need to have? And is this soil mixed with coconut fiber ok?

image-1440095704.png

Thanks!

Sorry, here is the ingredient list....

Composted forest products, Canadian peat moss, composted chicken manure, rice hulls, horticultural sand, perlite, bat guano, kelp meal and worm castings.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
ummmm... I'm going to say no on the bat guano, chicken poo, and perlite. where on earth did you get that soil????

I use dirt from my back yard mixed with coconut fiber substrate.

I just saw his photo again. There's definitely something wrong with him. His skin and shell are not quite right, and it looks like his beak may be slightly deformed. It's hard to tell from one photo, but I'm so glad you decided to go get him. Something's off... Post new pics ASAP!! ;)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think that that soil is probably fine. The stuff I use has horse manure in it.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
yagyujubei said:
I think that that soil is probably fine. The stuff I use has horse manure in it.

Ewwwwww with the poo in the soil, people. :p

Actually, Kim, I would be concerned about the perlite causing a potential blockage if it were accidentally ingested by such a small turtle. It's kind of like a tiny stone, and a little bit like vermiculite, which some people on the forum suspect can cause fatal blockages in hatchlings. I'm not sure if it's been proven or not... Tom or some of the other breeders might know, but I would steer clear of that kind of stuff, just in case.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Yea, when I first got it at Home Depot I only read the top..the pic I sent. Then I found the ingrediants list and thought "OH MY!". But it was the only "natural" one I have seen there. When I got to the perlite I knew it wasn't very good...I read that thread also.

Something wrong? Deformed beak? AHHHHH! I don't even know anything about turtles...I will post pics tomorrow probably tomorrow. I'm picking him up late and I don't want to disturb him tonight.

Enclosure temp at 75* tonight? What should the humidity be? What would be a good breakfast for him tomorrow? Does he need daily soaks? How long?

More questions after I post the pics of him tomorrow I am sure! I hope is ok!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Never use any kind of soil mix that has vermiculite in it. They are like little tiny sponges and will expand to hold moisture in an animals stomach. I would just use plain soil, and you could mix it with peat moss to keep it loose or coco coir.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
terryo said:
Never use any kind of soil mix that has vermiculite in it. They are like little tiny sponges and will expand to hold moisture in an animals stomach. I would just use plain soil, and you could mix it with peat moss to keep it loose or coco coir.

As dumb as this sounds...I can't find plain soil! Everything is enhanced with food for plants or something. I only have plain dirt in my yard...no soil. :( Maybe only the coconut fiber then? With some peat moss in the hide?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If you mix the soil in your yard with some peat moss, or coco coir, that will be fine. I use my yard soil all the time when I'm making a new vivarium. I always take a bit of compost that's in my veggie garden too because it has worms and pill bugs.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
terryo said:

I am so happy to see you posting Terry. Have been wondering if you were caught in the flooding. Hope all is okay with you and your home.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
terryo said:
If you mix the soil in your yard with some peat moss, or coco coir, that will be fine. I use my yard soil all the time when I'm making a new vivarium. I always take a bit of compost that's in my veggie garden too because it has worms and pill bugs.

But it's DIRT. Dry, dry dirt. Almost clay like really. Very hard! So is it ok to just use the coco fiber? With no mix?

With the leaves...can it be ANY leaves? Or are there certain ones that are good/bad. Also, do you gather the green ones off the trees or the dead ones already on the ground?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Yes, lots of people use only coco coir. Just put some flat stones or moss around the water dish to keep it a little cleaner, or she will drag in the coco coir. I always put some little tropical plants around to hold the humidity too. This is a little set up I have for a 2 yr. old Three Toed that's still inside.
020-32.jpg

021-34.jpg

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
terryo said:
Yes, lots of people use only coco coir. Just put some flat stones or moss around the water dish to keep it a little cleaner, or she will drag in the coco coir. I always put some little tropical plants around to hold the humidity too. This is a little set up I have for a 2 yr. old Three Toed that's still inside.

Thanks! That helps A LOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.