Help needed

Tortoise mummy93

Location (City and/or State)
Peterborough
Hello just a quick question if anyone can help my 7 year old Herman tortoise (girl) keeps running her bottom on the floor shes eating and pooing fine and looks healthy she has started bum rubbing over the last few days any ideas
Thanks
Tortoisemummy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We will need more info. How are you housing the tortoise? What are your four temperatures? What do you feed the tortoise? Does the tortoise have indoor UV? What type of bulb? Does the tortoise have an outdoor enclosure for sunning? How often do you soak the tortoise? What substrate? A picture of the enclosure might help too.

Tortoise mummy93

Peterborough
My tortoise is in a tank that has been approved by the vets temperature is 25 she's has got tomatoes cucumber and carrot and occasionally strawberries she has a UV lamp and heat lamp she don't have an outdoor enclosure as unfortunately don't have a garden I wash her 2 or 3 days and she is on reptile woodchip will send pics when I finish work

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's probably a parasite infestation from the tortoise being fed an incorrect diet. They shouldn't be fed fruit at all, and tomatoes, cucumber and strawberries are fruit. The fruity diet causes a parasite bloom. This species eats broad leaf plants and weeds. We have a very good Hermanns care sheet pinned toward the top of our Hermanns section.

(parasites cause itching around the cloaca)

Reactions: Ink

Tortoise mummy93

Peterborough
Well I have been told by vets that they can have fruit but will ring the vets in the morning and see what they say thank you

KronksMom

Illinois
"Please help me...No, not like that!"

Vets are notorious for treating tortoises like dogs with hard hats on. You asked for help, but then when are given help don't believe one of the most experienced and knowledgable people on here. And about something so basic as whether or not a testudo tortoise should eat fruit. If your vet told you to feed your Hermanns tort fruit, I garauntee you got a lot of other bad advice too.

Tortoise mummy93

Peterborough
I never said I didn't believe them I am grateful for all help of my tort as I know when they get poorly it can happen very quick all I said was I will ring vets tomorrow basically was.gonna say toot the vet that I have been feeding my tort fruit and explain the situation I have too you guys on her and see what they think