Help needed! Has anyone had this happen?

girl_in_a_curl

Location (City and/or State)
Middlesex
Hi, I posted this in the breeding section a few days ago but nobody has answered... can anybody help please?
I have a hermanns hatchling who left her egg six days ago. She has a weird looking yolk sack still attached. It has always been on the long thin side and now it is very shrivelled and doesn't look like any of the pictures I have seen of other yolk sacks, which appear round. She has been kept in a damp brooder box in the incubator. She spent a few days on a paper towel donut ring. I have applied coconut oil for the last few days.
Has anyone else experienced this and what should I do? I am a first time breeder so this is all new to me.
20210919_102307.jpg20210919_102313.jpg20210919_102310.jpg

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
That is the remains of egg sack.... Very important and also that you do not let it dry out or remove it. It must heal and be absorbed. You have got this hatchling far too young.
Search on here for hatchling and egg sack and read. I will also link you the care sheet and please read and avoid and sand or substrate until healed.

Last edited:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK

Please read and see what you can do for the early days. Please read and ask questions as required.

girl_in_a_curl

Middlesex

Please read and see what you can do for the early days. Please read and ask questions as required.
Thanks. I had seen the hatchling page but not the other one. Very informative.
Do you think her yolk sack looks normal? It hasn't changed size for a few days.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I posted this in the breeding section a few days ago but nobody has answered... can anybody help please?
I have a hermanns hatchling who left her egg six days ago. She has a weird looking yolk sack still attached. It has always been on the long thin side and now it is very shrivelled and doesn't look like any of the pictures I have seen of other yolk sacks, which appear round. She has been kept in a damp brooder box in the incubator. She spent a few days on a paper towel donut ring. I have applied coconut oil for the last few days.
Has anyone else experienced this and what should I do? I am a first time breeder so this is all new to me.
View attachment 333060View attachment 333061View attachment 333062
Every once in a while one will seem to have a little trouble fully absorbing the yolk sac. Keep this one in the brooder box until the remnants of the yolk sac are gone. There is no rush to get them into an enclosure. Weeks in the brooder box are fine if needed.

I use grape leaves, broadleaf plantain leaves, or large leaves from grocery store greens as substrate after the first day. You don't want them eating the paper towels, and they will.

Here are two threads to explain more:

Different species, but the same techniques apply:

Congrats on hatching babies. That is fantastic!

girl_in_a_curl

Middlesex
Every once in a while one will seem to have a little trouble fully absorbing the yolk sac. Keep this one in the brooder box until the remnants of the yolk sac are gone. There is no rush to get them into an enclosure. Weeks in the brooder box are fine if needed.

I use grape leaves, broadleaf plantain leaves, or large leaves from grocery store greens as substrate after the first day. You don't want them eating the paper towels, and they will.

Here are two threads to explain more:

Different species, but the same techniques apply:

Congrats on hatching babies. That is fantastic!
Thanks Tom. Should I be doing daily soaks when she is still in the brooder box, or just leave her undisturbed? What about sunlight? Does she need any?
I haven't seen her eat anything yet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom. Should I be doing daily soaks when she is still in the brooder box, or just leave her undisturbed? What about sunlight? Does she need any?
I haven't seen her eat anything yet.
Yes on the daily soaks.
No need for sunlight or UV yet. The brooder box simulates the time spent underground in the nest chamber after hatching, but before emerging.
She's probably nibbling on small amounts of whatever is near her. That's why I surround them with food.