Help! My tortoise is lost in st . Louis!

sherry rieck

Hi all!
My 3 yr old sulcats tortoise is loose! His cage was opened while we were out of town and has been out for over 24 hours! I'm sick about it! There is s creek near his house ... Would he head that way? We have had lots of rain and flooding and I'm so scared I'm not going to find him. I will return home tomorrow but my son has been looking for him most of the day without luck! Suggestions on where to look??? Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry to hear this.
Look under every bush, log, stack of branches. Also look first thing in the A.M. After the sun has come up and starting to warm things up, he will want to bask to warm up. Put up posters, call local vets and animal rescues. Los keep an eye on Craiglsit for any Sulcata listings. Don't give up either,many have been found after months of missing. Good luck and keep us posted.

sherry rieck

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I do appreciate your advice! Thank you! I won't give up!

sherry rieck

Shoot! Forgot to ask? Will he gravitate to water??? There is a creek nearby! Lots of rain lately too!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't know that. My guess would be no, if there has been a lot of rain, he may just be finding puddles. However, when one is lost, it's best to look every place, so, I would look there too.