Help! My tortoise has a runny nose, is whistling all the time, and is scratching his face!!!!

Clueless Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh, NC
i'm going to try syringe feeding since he hasn't eaten in three/ four days. Any ideas on electrolytes. I read on the tortoise library about a homemade solution of salt, sugar, water, and baking soda. should i do that concoction or is it just bs

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
i'm going to try syringe feeding since he hasn't eaten in three/ four days. Any ideas on electrolytes. I read on the tortoise library about a homemade solution of salt, sugar, water, and baking soda. should i do that concoction or is it just bs
I wouldn't, 3-4 days is not a long time for a Tortoise to not eat. It will probably just be more stress for him. You can try baby food soaks. Mix some water with some carrot baby food and soak your tort in that for a while.

KronksMom

Illinois
I wouldn't do that. The reason is, it's incredibly easy for a tort (or even a human for that matter) to aspirate. What that means is, you take some of the fluid into your lungs. Especially with an upper respiratory infection already in progress, that could be deadly.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Yeah. I actually had made the mistake of syringe feeding him. I read that if they hadn't eaten, you should syringe feed them. This was written on the website that my tortoise was going to (the one that was trash here in Virginia) He ate a little. I fed him a tiny piece of cauliflower (his fav treat) and he swallowed it. After he finished eating ( a while later ), he started wheezing and making a cry sound i have never heard before. He spit up his cauliflower. The food that I syringe fed him came gushing out of his nose along with clear mucus. Clear, tear like (mucus I guess) liquid came out of his eyes. I got the spit up food out of his mouth but he continued to make that cry. He finally got enough air and stopped. I cleaned him up and brought him inside. He's asleep now and is okay. I spoke with my mom (who is a nurse) and said that from what she knows about humans ( it may be different for reptiles), that it seemed like a serious respiratory infection, from the way he is acting. She said the same thing about aspiration. Because he is so dehydrated ( i know 3-4 days eating and drinking isnt a long time tho), that the vets may need to give him a stomach tube, if this is as serious as we believe. I'm just trying to take care of him the best i can until tomorrow.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
The crying sound he made, the spitting up food, the wheezing, the liquids from eyes and the nose, all of this combined....i thought he was gonna die....

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
im measuring all of it. substrate, air temp, heating mats. I'm doing all of the right things. I meant to say treats, not threats. I was talking about his diet. I'm trying to explain that i'm doing everything I can and I want to know what others think this issue is. I'm concerned and he is in a great environment and is well taken care of, but he's sick, and idk what is going on. I was asking if anyone knows or thinks they know what these symptoms mean, (example: Respiratory infection)
But he's NOT in a great environment. People are suggesting what you need to do and you aren't doing it, right out, he has an upper respiratory infection and if you can't give him antibiotics he needs a Vet. His temps are too low for him to have humidity...hot and moist=good, cold and moist =bad. UVB rays can't come in thru the glass in that window. You telling us that you can't find an exotic Vet in The City?? Really? I was born and raised in S.F. Please explain just how and why you went to a different state for a Vet??? You make no sense. You say nothing you tried has helped. It's only been 7 days since you first post. It took that tortoise a while to get sick, and it takes a while to make him better. Soak him in strained carrots daily, and he'll get better as far as nutrition goes.
I actually just got off the phone with the vet. He was supposed to call me this morning but never did. I called them just now and was told he wasn't going to see me tomorrow like he was supposed to, and may not even come in until the next day. I was referred to another vet, who referred me to another vet, and finally found one. I spent my whole lunch break on the phone with multiple vets. I was on the phone for at least a good hour and a half. I finally found a well known exotic vet who i booked an appointment with for tomorrow early afternoon. They specialize in reptiles and exotic animals and will give him meds and a diagnosis tomorrow. I now have to skip my zoom meeting to drive to a different state. That's how far the next vet is. Fantastic. But as long as my little guy is getting what he needs, i'd drive across the country for him.
Bull Sh*t You are in San Francisco, right? There's an exotic Vet on just about any corner, there's Vets in
San Bruno, Daly City, and South San Francisco. Want me to continue? Fresno, Clovis, Salinas, Bakersfield all those cities have exotic Vets, so there was no need to drive over 500 miles to get out of California

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
@maggie3fan Im not in the city right now. Im in Virginia. If u had actually read the posts you would know that. U arent some expert. Ur just another person with access to the internet. Stop being a little sh*t. I also said that he has heating lamps, uvb light, heating pads, AS WELL as access to a window giving off extra light. I cant help the fact that right now, this day in time, that I can't give him a better enclosure. You have no idea how hard it has been for me as an owner to see him so sick. I'm in a town in virginia with very little vets, and am driving to tennessee tomorrow. I'm juggling a lot of things. When i say the perfect environment im talking temperature wise. He's getting worse, not better. Im not expecting him to be cured the next day, but he should not be getting dramatically worse. Not everyone has time to b*tch at other people like you do. I can give you a whole list of reasons why I can't just drop everything and build the perfect enclosure. I'm giving him the correct temperatures as well. I have very little patience for people like you right now. I care and love for him, and am doing the best I can. So either be helpful, or kindly f*ck off.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Let me make this loud an clear. Most of you have been extremely helpful, and I am so thankful for you and your wisdom. To the people who are b*tching at me because I don't have a big enough enclosure or keep asking me about temperatures, I already answered these questions. The pattern here is people who are b*tching at me are not reading the whole post. I am doing everything I can to take care of him. I'm trying to get him to a vet to prescribe him antibiotics. I cant just make them appear out of thin air. I'm a full time student juggling classes, homework, two dogs, one dog with a yeast infection in his ear, living across the country with my grandma and my parents, im on zoom meetings from 12-5 everyday, calling vets, giving medicine to my dog, trying to take care of my mental health, bathing my tortoise, spending my money on everything my tortoise could possibly need, literally sleeping on the floor of my grandma's bathroom next to my tortoise so i can watch him throughout the night, and not getting a lot of sleep. I'm doing this all by myself as a sophomore in high school. So i'm sorry i dont have the patience to listen to others bullsh*t, but i'm working my a$$ off. So if you're not going to be helpful, don't write anything on this page. PERIOD!!!!

Last edited:

zovick

10 Year Member!
Let me make this loud an clear. Most of you have been extremely helpful, and I am so thankful for you and your wisdom. To the people who are b*tching at me because I don't have a big enough enclosure or keep asking me about temperatures, I already answered these questions. The pattern here is people who are b*tching at me are not reading the whole post. I am doing everything I can to take care of him. I'm trying to get him to a vet to prescribe him antibiotics. I cant just make them appear out of thin air. I'm a full time student juggling classes, homework, two dogs, one dog with a yeast infection in his ear, living across the country with my grandma and my parents, im on zoom meetings from 12-5 everyday, calling vets, giving medicine to my dog, trying to take care of my mental health, bathing my tortoise, spending my money on everything my tortoise could possibly need, literally sleeping on the floor of my grandma's bathroom next to my tortoise so i can watch him throughout the night, and not getting a lot of sleep. I'm doing this all by myself as a sophomore in high school. So i'm sorry i dont have the patience to listen to others bullsh*t, but i'm working my a$$ off. So if you're not going to be helpful, don't write anything on this page. PERIOD!!!!
Helena,
I would not recommend trying to feed the tortoise with a syringe any more right now. There is a very good chance it will aspirate some of the food (if it didn't do so already) and get pneumonia on top of the other problems. Wait till you get to the vet tomorrow and if he/she thinks the tortoise needs a stomach tube, let them put it in place. THEN you can safely get the food from the syringe into the tortoise's stomach without having it possibly be aspirated into the lungs. Note that stomach tubes are usually placed through an incision at the base of the neck and go directly into the stomach. A cap is placed over the end which sticks out of the opening. You then just open the cap, squirt the food into the tube with a syringe, and follow it with a bit of water to flush the tube. Then close the cap and wait till the next feeding to repeat the process. It is much easier than trying to feed it through the mouth which further stresses the tortoise and is a possible source of aspiration pneumonia or even worse, death. The vet should also have a powdered food to give you which you mix with water to feed the tortoise.

If you are seeing a really good exotics vet, there is a chance that he/she will want to keep the tortoise for a few days to make sure it is doing well. I would say that would be a good idea as they normally have specially prepared set-ups in which to keep sick animals. Think of a baby incubator such as used for premature infants. That is very similar what I have seen used in my experience. Then the vet could give the required medications plus feed the tortoise for a few days and give you back a healthier, happier tortoise.

Let us know how it goes, and again I wish you good luck.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Helena,
I would not recommend trying to feed the tortoise with a syringe any more right now. There is a very good chance it will aspirate some of the food (if it didn't do so already) and get pneumonia on top of the other problems. Wait till you get to the vet tomorrow and if he/she thinks the tortoise needs a stomach tube, let them put it in place. THEN you can safely get the food from the syringe into the tortoise's stomach without having it possibly be aspirated into the lungs. Note that stomach tubes are usually placed through an incision at the base of the neck and go directly into the stomach. A cap is placed over the end which sticks out of the opening. You then just open the cap, squirt the food into the tube with a syringe, and follow it with a bit of water to flush the tube. Then close the cap and wait till the next feeding to repeat the process. It is much easier than trying to feed it through the mouth which further stresses the tortoise and is a possible source of aspiration pneumonia or even worse, death. The vet should also have a powdered food to give you which you mix with water to feed the tortoise.

If you are seeing a really good exotics vet, there is a chance that he/she will want to keep the tortoise for a few days to make sure it is doing well. I would say that would be a good idea as they normally have specially prepared set-ups in which to keep sick animals. Think of a baby incubator such as used for premature infants. That is very similar what I have seen used in my experience. Then the vet could give the required medications plus feed the tortoise for a few days and give you back a healthier, happier tortoise.

Let us know how it goes, and again I wish you good luck.
Thank you. I know my last two posts have been kind of cranky and i apologize. Thank you for your help. I totally regret syringe feeding him, but will 100% not do that again. I'm learning from my mistakes and trying my best to keep my composure. Guess you all can kind of tell im stressed out and running on very little sleep huh? lol. Will let you know how it goes tmr. Thank you for your wisdom and your support.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep this friendly and watch your language.
Lots of people are having harder then normal times right now.
Let's give helpful tips and info.
A sick tortoise is better off in a smaller hospital tank until it's well. I'm sure when the OP can, they will improve the enclosure. For now the enclosure is fitting in size for the situation.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have not read very many posts on this thread. I just want to say that temps should be kept at a higher temp when a tortoise is sick. 85 all over day and night.
Just incase it hasn't been said.
Good luck hope all turns out well.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Thank you. I agree. This whole Corona thing is driving everyone nuts. I don't think getting upset and arguing with one another is going to help anything. Whether its negative or positive input, I'm trying my best and learning not only about taking care for my tortoise, but learning about myself and how to react better in a positive way. I apologize for my behavior, and being upset is not going to make my tortoise better. Being calm is the best thing that I can do to help him. Will def continue to keep temps above 85. Much love to all and wish the best for each one of you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. I agree. This whole Corona thing is driving everyone nuts. I don't think getting upset and arguing with one another is going to help anything. Whether its negative or positive input, I'm trying my best and learning not only about taking care for my tortoise, but learning about myself and how to react better in a positive way. I apologize for my behavior, and being upset is not going to make my tortoise better. Being calm is the best thing that I can do to help him. Will def continue to keep temps above 85. Much love to all and wish the best for each one of you.
What type of UV light are you using?

Heat mats are not safe for tortoises. I would not use those.

I think the stress of shipping, and going from a dry environment to a humid one is the cause of your problem. The right meds from the vet should clear it up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

I think the stress of shipping, and going from a dry environment to a humid one is the cause of your problem. The right meds from the vet should clear it up.
Tom I would love for you to clarify the heat mat not safe for tortoises. I believe you, Yvonne, me others use and recommend the Kane heat mat or the similar ones sold.
It's very confusing to say they are not safe, yet hundreds of post where they are recommended or stated being used by you and others.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC

I was told by the vet i was seeing to use a reptisun 10.0 desert bulb with a dome lamp. Its the tube kind. I keep it a foot away.

For the heat mat i use an undertank heater. Right now i use a small one that is plastic safe for his temporary enclosure. I have a bigger heat mat for when we move. I also use a heat mat thermostat so i can control the temp.

I agree about the stress part. Stress can be a big factor in causing his (what i believe) RI

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom I would love for you to clarify the heat mat not safe for tortoises. I believe you, Yvonne, me others use and recommend the Kane heat mat or the similar ones sold.
It's very confusing to say they are not safe, yet hundreds of post where they are recommended or stated being used by you and others.
The indoor reptile under tank heating pads is what I'm referring to. That is what the OP in this thread is using. Those should not be used.

Outdoor Kane mats controlled by a thermostat for larger tortoises is an entirely different concept. Totally fine and safe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was told by the vet i was seeing to use a reptisun 10.0 desert bulb with a dome lamp. Its the tube kind. I keep it a foot away.

For the heat mat i use an undertank heater. Right now i use a small one that is plastic safe for his temporary enclosure. I have a bigger heat mat for when we move. I also use a heat mat thermostat so i can control the temp.

I agree about the stress part. Stress can be a big factor in causing his (what i believe) RI
The vet told you to use a cfl, but you are using the long tube type instead? Is it the T8 or newer T5 HO type? Does it have a reflector? What length is it? What length is the enclosure?

Trying to eliminate possibilities here...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The indoor reptile under tank heating pads is what I'm referring to. That is what the OP in this thread is using. Those should not be used.

Outdoor Kane mats controlled by a thermostat for larger tortoises is an entirely different concept. Totally fine and safe.
I didnt realize they had stated what kind of heat mat until after your post.
After your post, yes she did state under the tank. I didn't see it posted before your post.