Help! My RF hatchling won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Robertsdale, AL
When I got Little Foot a few weeks ago it ate fine and weighed 45g, now it wont eat and has lost 4g. What can I do? I have tried an assortment of greens and even tried the tortoise diet food. The little guy refuses to eat. Any help would be appreciated.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
how is it being kept? temps? how old is it?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
High Melinda,
Are you keeping Little Foot separate from Shelly? If not, could there be some bullying going on...? How many days has Little Foot gone without eating?

I have two hatchlings (Rafiki & Coagi) and Rafiki is a very picky eater, so I have to keep a very strict diet for both. If I feed them all fruit one day, Rafiki will often hold out for a day or two and refuse any greens. To keep her from getting addicted (and retaining firm poop) I only offer fruit once or twice per week at a quantity no larger than their heads. Is there anyway that Little Foot is behaving like Rafiki and holding out for something else (I don't know how long it's been since Littles last ate, nor do I know your diet regime...)?

The only other thing I could think of is perhaps a parasite (don't freak out, probably not the case!)? What's Little Foots behavior been like, any changes (minus the eating of course)? I know hatchlings are pretty much into eating, hiding, and pooping, so this may be difficult to answer.

I hope some others with more RF hatchling experience can come along and help you soon! I was just poking 'n prodding here. Tell Little Foot to cut the crap and eat some food, he's spookin' us!

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
Little Foot wouldn't eat today. The last few days Little Foot only ate 2-3 bites of food and walked off. Right now, they are being housed together because I am in the middle of moving. I do notice that they stay away from each other. Shelly hasn't been picking on Little Foot, Shelly hides all day. Little Foot stays on the opposite side of the enclosure. Little Foot hides all day and poops just fine. Little Foots behavior hasn't changed, just the eating has changed. I am going to seperate them after I get moved in a few days. Is there anything I can do in the mean time?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The most common cause of not eating is that the tortoise isn't warm enough.

We need to know more about your set-up.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
emysemys said:
The most common cause of not eating is that the tortoise isn't warm enough.

We need to know more about your set-up.

I have a CHE that is on most of the time and runs about 89 degrees, Their substrate is cypress mulch. Their enclosure is a tortoise house. Shelly stays in the big hide and Little Foot stays in a little hide most of the time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That may be a bit too hot. I don't keep RF tortoises, but I'm thinking I read on here that 80 to 85 is a good overall temp.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
emysemys said:
That may be a bit too hot. I don't keep RF tortoises, but I'm thinking I read on here that 80 to 85 is a good overall temp.

I moved the lighting higher so it won't get quite as hot.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You said they stay away from each other? I think some bullying might be going on. do you feed them together? can you try feeding them in separate containers?

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
dmmj said:
You said they stay away from each other? I think some bullying might be going on. do you feed them together? can you try feeding them in separate containers?

Little Texas

5 Year Member
Antelope Valley
I have a redfoot and went through a similar problem where he would take a couple bites and then refuse to eat anymore. I obviously can't say if your tort is sick or not but if his behavior hasn't changed otherwise is it possible he just became very picky. I know that sounds too simple but mine is the most picky eater ever. I really hope there is nothing wrong with your little guy. Try feeding him away from the other one. What I did was make a plate of about 6 differnt things, not mixed in together all separate in little piles. He would take a couple bites and decide if he liked it and then moved on to another food. Even though he had previously eaten certain foods he no longer would. Just try some new foods and see if you can get him to eat. If you have alrady tried this sorry for my post.

Tnewton

5 Year Member
90 is a good temp for reds. What exactly are you feeding? Doing any protein or fruits? What about your humidity levels? I was get some moss in there asap, I dont like straight up cypress in any enclosure

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
Well, good news. I have soaked Little Foot in baby carrot food for the last 2 nights. Last night Little Foot wouldn't do anything except sit in it, tonight Little Foot ate some of it. Little Foot has gained back 2g in the last 2 days. Apparently it was a little hot in there and I have been feeding the 2 torts separately, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.