Help!! My Hermann’s has worms!!

JMM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, MA
You might have gotten the drug from a vet, but clearly you aren't following a veterinarian's guidance--the 10% paste is the equine formation.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
It was meant for use of my other tort who is the same size and had worms as well.

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
It means that whether it is the exact brand shown in the link you provided us, the preparation you are using is identical in strength.

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
You need to seek veterinary care for this tort--using a drug meant for another animal without the guidance of a vet is not right.

casstom702

Las Vegas
I do not recommend following the advice of casstom702. Dewormers are not innocuous. They must be selected based on the parasite(e) present and dosed properly--that dewormed is for horses and is far too concentrated in any quantity for a small tort.
That's mostly untrue. Vets and human doctors alike use the same medication for almost ALL intestinal parasites. Now, a medication for intestinal parasites won't help much for say heart worm. But most worms that come out like that in poop are intestinal. This is the medication information for what I suggested:

Fenbendazole is a broad spectrum benzimidazole anthelmintic used against gastrointestinal parasites including: giardia, roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, the tapeworm genus Taenia, pinworms, aelurostrongylus, paragonimiasis, strongyles, and strongyloides that can be administered to sheep, cattle, horses, fish, dogs, cats, rabbits, most reptiles, freshwater shrimp tanks as planaria and hydra treatments, as well as seals.

A horse gets two or three of these syringes orally and anally once to twice a week. I went to a vet the first time one of my torts had worms and $400 I had a tube of the same stuff and the standard 10% concentration. I do not recommend giving this to a tort less than a year old. But of course, it's your pet, your call. I'd just wanted to point out that I have experience and have thoroughly researched the treatment as opposed to someone that googled safe-guard and said to themselves, "Horses! I'm pretty sure horses are bigger than tortoises... Yup, definitely bigger. You can't give stuff for big animals to little animals! I better go tell that guy that horses are bigger than his tortoise!"

casstom702

Las Vegas
Yeah, oh man! Once a week. You're going to burn the little guy's intestines and kill all the beneficial bacteria in his gut that allows him to digest plant matter. You should give him a probiotic like benebac stat. The treatment for worms is about a LITTLE bit of medication over a LONG period (3-4 weeks). Antiparasitics are brutal, they're basically tolerable pesticides. So, probiotics, soon. Check his poop in a week. If there are any more worms give him ONE dose the size recommended by the vet and then wait another week.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Thank y’all so much for all of the help! I have been dosing the little guy for the last 3 days now ( including today) with Panacur 10%

it seems to be working great, I only noticed ONE worm in his stool today!!! will continue until none are visible.
Just wanted to say, I have experience with panacur 10% paste. It is very safe with tortoises, and hard to overdo. If you are seeing good results and dead worms I would continue the treatment for a few more weeks (once every week for the next few weeks, go longer to be safe even up to four weeks after the initial dose) for any remaining eggs that hatch and then stop. Panacur treats many types of worms, so I think after the treatment they'll be gone. However, they may be in the other tortoises too.

casstom702

Las Vegas
You might have gotten the drug from a vet, but clearly you aren't following a veterinarian's guidance--the 10% paste is the equine formation.
And by this logic cat grass is for cats, not for torts, lambs lettuce is for lambs not for torts, and chia seeds are for ugly 80's home decor and can't be grown and fed to torts. The equine medication I posted for you FROM TORTOISESUPPLY .COM not HORSESUPPLY.COM is meant to be given to a horse in one dose. When you give it to a tort DO NOT give him all 25g of the medication at once. The difference in fenbendazole for horses and tortoises is just the dose amount. Horses get 25g, your tortoise should get about 25mg, about the size of a pea. If you have a good tort vet than by all means run this by them. Unfortunately most vets know very little about reptiles, especially torts. Want good advice if your shakey on what you read here? Email a reputable breeder. They'll know more than most dog and cat vets.

casstom702

Las Vegas
I am not using the one recommended above. It is only 10% concentratied and was bought from a Vet.
He is captive breed and I got him from a very reliable store down here is Texas.
10%, why that's the same concentration as the one used or horses, and dogs, and cats, and saltwater shrimp. It's almost as if you can use the same medication of different species adjusted for their size. Weird,

Grace-Sophia

Texas
He came from a reliable store down here in Plano Texas, the DFW Reptarium

Grace-Sophia

Texas
And by this logic cat grass is for cats, not for torts, lambs lettuce is for lambs not for torts, and chia seeds are for ugly 80's home decor and can't be grown and fed to torts. The equine medication I posted for you FROM TORTOISESUPPLY .COM not HORSESUPPLY.COM is meant to be given to a horse in one dose. When you give it to a tort DO NOT give him all 25g of the medication at once. The difference in fenbendazole for horses and tortoises is just the dose amount. Horses get 25g, your tortoise should get about 25mg, about the size of a pea. If you have a good tort vet than by all means run this by them. Unfortunately most vets know very little about reptiles, especially torts. Want good advice if your shakey on what you read here? Email a reputable breeder. They'll know more than most dog and cat vets.
I have only been giving him 25mg.
My torts vet is Dr. Lauren Thelien of Texas Avain and Exotic, she is fantastic with reptiles all the was to Kangaroos.
She even has he own Tv show on National Geographic and Disney+ which I highly recommend! If you are in my area she is the best of the best!!

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
10%, why that's the same concentration as the one used or horses, and dogs, and cats, and saltwater shrimp. It's almost as if you can use the same medication of different species adjusted for their size. Weird,
I don't want in on this needlessly hostile exchange at all, but I will say panacur 10% is definitely more practical. The volume required (as a one off, or potentially once 2 weeks apart, not every day!) of panacur 2.5% is very difficult to administer. Many vets will sanction it for torts, despite being intended for livestock.
It has been decided not to discuss dosing on this forum @casstom702 as it is very risky and can be misinterpreted, as may have happened here.