HELP! My Forest Hingeback Tortoise WILL NOT EAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlmom

5 Year Member
How often do FHBTurtles poop? Mine eats almost daily and only seems to poop about once a month? She usually poops in her food dish. Don't know if this is coincidence or if she's making a statement on my cooking. Maybe she is just really smart pooing where I will find it. What are your experiences?

JBough10

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the tips! I have felt confused before about changing the substrate, but I suspect it depends on how often you pick the poo out. I try to get it as soon as I see it. Speaking of... should I be concerned now that Violet hasn't pooed in a week even though she is now eating? She has eaten earthworms, mushrooms, and nibbled a little bit of orange pepper. Also, is worms from outside safe? I assumed they were so she's had two so far. I was amazed at how instantly she goes for them, when for months she has put her nose up to everything else I have offered... this tort knows what she wants!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I have enclosures in which I have not changed the substrate in years. All of my enclosures are "inoculated" with pill bugs, millipedes, slugs, snails, springtails, and other garden variety bugs when they are set up. They eat the waste and also any left over food bits and help keep the enclosure clean. Not everyone is okay with having bugs in their house ;) but they truly are harmless, and no different than what a tortoise would come across in the wild.

It may take a few days for her to have a really good solid poop. They don't digest the way we do, or the way mammals do. Things move a bit slower, and that includes digestion. Once she gets a build up in her intestine, it will be in with new, out with the old, in that order. The mushroom will help, it is a good source of fiber, however, the fruit may cause it to be a bit runny. That is okay for now. The important thing is that she is eating at this point, not really what she is eating.

Earthworms are perfectly safe as long as they are collected from an area that you know for a fact has not been treated with any sort of fertilizer or pesticide. Also, it is best to keep away from areas that dogs use to go poop, because residues from medications used for heartworm, etc. can be deadly to tortoises.

turtlmom said:
How often do FHBTurtles poop? Mine eats almost daily and only seems to poop about once a month? She usually poops in her food dish. Don't know if this is coincidence or if she's making a statement on my cooking. Maybe she is just really smart pooing where I will find it. What are your experiences?

Are you sure that she isn't using the water dish? That is where mine seem to go the most. Other than that, they generally poop right after being fed.

JBough10

5 Year Member
I am a little concerned today about Violets lethargic behavior. Suddenly she is just sleeping ALL day, hasn't walked anywhere in her cage, and won't touch the mushrooms and melon I have given her. Still no poop either. At what point should I be concerned about possible fecal impaction (from parasite worms?)... what gives?! =/ I was so hopeful that she was getting better.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have personally never experienced fecal impaction from parasites, and usually well hydrated tortoises do not become impacted even if they eat a bit of the substrate. You could give her a warm soak, and see if that perks her up a bit. She may just be feeling stressed and wants some peace. Has anyone yet spoke to you about baby food soaks?

JBough10

5 Year Member
Baby food soaks? No. Haven't heard of it. But, I do have a small baby so there's plenty baby food on hand... I'm all ears. :)

Btw, I just sprayed her cage down again and (thanks to your tip) gave her a cooked shrimp... she is happily chowing down.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Good deal ;) Water almost always will get them moving, eating and breeding ;)

Baby food soaks -

Soaking

Soaking your tortoise is a very good idea. Most tortoises will use this time to void their bladder and bowels as well as drink water. It helps to keep them hydrated and healthy.

The water should be warm, but not hot to the touch. Fill the container to the level of the bridge between the carapace and plastron (upper and lower shell,) and soak the tortoise until the water cools, typically 10-20 minutes. Many will plunge their heads completely under the water, and draw in big gulps. This is completely normal, and the tortoise will not drown, even if the nares (nostrils) are covered while drinking, provided that the water is shallow enough for the tortoise to raise its head above the level of the water. They often leave their heads submerged and drink steadily for several minutes. This too is normal.

You can set the container on a heating pad, heat register, outside in the sun, or put a lamp over it to keep it warm longer. Do not leave the tortoise unattended. All in all, soak for probably 10-20 minutes. You can do this daily, every other day, or once a week, it is up to you. Babies should be soaked more often.

If you have a tortoise that is sick, or not wanting to eat, you can do a baby food soak. The method for this is simple. Prepare a soak for your tortoise. As with regular soaking, the water should be warm but not hot to the touch, and the level of the water should just cover the bridge between the carapace (upper shell) and plastron (lower shell.) Into the water, mix one jar (or less for smaller volume soaks, but a good portion of around 40% of the total volume) of human baby food. Carrots or butternut squash seem to work the best. To the water can also be added bird vitamins of the kind that are mixed with water (Vitasol is one) and I have also used human baby vitamins (such as Enfamil Poly Vi Sol.) Another great option is to add a liquid calcium carbonate solution, which can be purchased over the counter and is particularly a good choice for tortoises that have soft carapaces or plastrons, or very fine grade, suspendable calcium carbonate powder. The soak should be placed in an area that will allow it to remain warm for 15-20 minutes, such as on a heat pad, under a heat lamp, or next to a heat duct.

The symptoms under which I use/recommend this treatment are - lethargy, refusing to open eyes, puffy eyes, refusing to eat, and softness of the shell. Sometimes antibiotic therapy will cause a tortoise to go off its feed for a few days, and these soaks can be used at that time, also.

Please understand that this is not a replacement for veterinary care. This is simply a tool to use to help strengthen a weak tortoise and to help bolster a weak immune system or to help provide extra calcium and nutrients.

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#ixzz1uPTttaZ5

Status
Not open for further replies.