HELP: My female Russian Tortoise has been getting bit by my male tortoise

Alw1990

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
Hi there!

I am new to this forum. I currently have two very active russian tortoises male & female that I've had since December 2019.
My male tortoise has been all of the sudden biting the female the patch you see on her she has it on both sides she is way smaller then him and he has been just knocking her around the tank and climbing on top of her she looks exhausted =(20200206_010616.jpg20200206_010616.jpg20200206_010636.jpgI just realized this as of yesterday. My dad and I separated them. What should I do about her wounds? I soaked her today =(. Does anyone have any home remedies I could try and then is her skin shedding too? Does that mean she is growing? Someone help. please ?

Attachments

• 20200206_010634.jpg
    20200206_010634.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20200206_010548.jpg
    20200206_010548.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to separate them now! Tortoises should never be housed in lairs and specially Russians. They each need an enclosure no smaller then 4x8 feet with a warm weather outdoor enclosure for each.
If wanting to breed you put them together under supervision and then separate when the deed is done or if it doesnt appear to happen.
He will kill her so seperate

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
And from other posts here, even groups (a Male and some Females) have resulted in death.
Unfortunately yes. However, I would guess this is do more to not giving enough space. A group of russians or tortoises of any kind need a very big space. Not an enclosure as much as a yard with lots of sight barriers and feed and water stations and multiple hides. Most people don't get it that big and small tortoises need lots of room

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hope you can set them up well in their separate enclosures. Neosporin is a good antibiotic cream, or if you can get Silver Sulfadiazene (Silvadene) that would be even better but you may need a prescription for that. All the best! Keep us informed please on your progress with the changes.

Sa Ga

MN
Well thank you for the information, all of you! When I first got Morla, I saw another little baby and thought about getting her a friend. Now I know MUCH better! Yard or no yard, I will not have any future torts shacking up with Mo, lest she go Ninja Turtle on the poor addition.

Sa Ga

MN
Hi there!

I am new to this forum. I currently have two very active russian tortoises male & female that I've had since December 2019.
My male tortoise has been all of the sudden biting the female the patch you see on her she has it on both sides she is way smaller then him and he has been just knocking her around the tank and climbing on top of her she looks exhausted =(View attachment 285908View attachment 285908View attachment 285910I just realized this as of yesterday. My dad and I separated them. What should I do about her wounds? I soaked her today =(. Does anyone have any home remedies I could try and then is her skin shedding too? Does that mean she is growing? Someone help. please ?

How is she doing? Please update us!