K guy

Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster, Ohio
Hello, I hope you all are having a good day. My box turtle is not active and has not been eating much. Once in a while, he will eat a worm, but that's it. His setup is a large square "pool" with dirt logs some leaves a fern and a water bowl. I've tried berries, but he just does not eat. Any suggestions? Has this happened to you? He is a male. Also looking for a female to pair him with.

K guy

Lancaster, Ohio
I live in ohio, and the temprature doesn't go below 40. Most of the time between 50-70s. Also, would I be able to leave him outside overnight? I bring him in at night because I'm afraid racoons might get him.

Jannra

Canadian Prairie
While you probably could I wouldn't leave something that small outside overnight myself. Have you got a heat lamp setup for a basking area? If he's pretty young I believe they do prefer bugs and such like as food when they're younger. My brother is red-eared slider would only eat bugs and small fish when she was younger but would eat little bits of plants once she got a little older. Look up the chair sheets for your species again there may be a difference in preferred diet based on what age it is right now.

Jannra

Canadian Prairie
Also I wouldn't worry too much lots of reptiles can be slow to eat for several days or a couple of weeks without it being too harmful sometimes there just a little bothered by changes and take awhile to adapt. I would definitely see about having a good basking spot that's warmer though if you don't already have one

K guy

Lancaster, Ohio
Also I wouldn't worry too much lots of reptiles can be slow to eat for several days or a couple of weeks without it being too harmful sometimes there just a little bothered by changes and take awhile to adapt. I would definitely see about having a good basking spot that's warmer though if you don't already have one
Thanks. I do not have a basking spot, but even when the sun is out he likes to sit in the shade of his fern. I know its not too hot for him, so its a little weird. I estimate he is 10+ years old, so he is not young. But still, he only eats worms. once he ate some strawberry, but he doesn't really eat plants. Maybe he will if I don't watch?

m irwin

Dallas
It would be best if you uploaded pics of your set up so we can see what the deal is. Maybe offer up some suggestions. Agree with above replies - 50-70 degree's is going to elicit a wide range of activity. Closer to 50 and their about to hibernate! Or barely move and certainly not want to eat much if anything. Closer to 70, more activity, more eating, etc.. Have you had this turtle for sometime or is it new? New turtles will take time to acclimate to their new setting.... Whenever I introduce a new box turtle to my enclosure, I plan on not seeing it for 10 day or so as it hides and gets used to things. Then it'll get hungry and comfortable enough to wander around. Turtles love to eat, so not eating means something is up. Maybe too cold, maybe new to surroundings, maybe something else. Need pics....