Help my baby red foot tortoise won’t eat!!!!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Alief
That’s very gra
UPDATE!!!! So I ended up taking Finley outside and put him in the grass. It took him a while but he started eating!!! We where so relieved. Btw we went back to the pet shop and we told them what kind of tortoise they sold us and said that there was one sulcata and 3 Redfoot in the same enclosure. They sold the 3 Redfoots and the sulcata is the one we ended up getting. The Redfoot sign was still up. So the staff and I all thought it was a Redfoot. That was the problem. Anyway they gave us a $100 refund for the difference. And we decided to keep him. Instead of renting an apartment we decided to rent a duplex to give him a lot of backyard space.
thats Great! Good luck.

Kipley

Seattle, WA
And by time he is huge and requires a fortress to contain him, you'll be out of college and earning an income to support his/her needs!

Now just make sure you keep him secure when he is out so you don't loose little Finley the Mock Redfoot in that yard.

I have a 2.5 year old Sulcata and 4 Redfoots that range from 9 years to 4 months.

Garland
And by time he is huge and requires a fortress to contain him, you'll be out of college and earning an income to support his/her needs!

Now just make sure you keep him secure when he is out so you don't loose little Finley the Mock Redfoot in that yard.

I have a 2.5 year old Sulcata and 4 Redfoots that range from 9 years to 4 months.
Yeah lol. Since yesterday I’ve done a crap ton of research and I’ve looked sulcata care sheets and saw that the pet shop give us a lot of false information (of course). Anyway Finley doesn’t look to good. He’s starting to kind of worry me. And I Think I know what the problem is. The first problem is we are able to keep the humidity inside of his enclosure. So my dad and I are building him a closed in closure this weekend.

Garland
Another problem that I have is I don’t know how to build the enclosure. I mean I have ideas but I really can’t find pictures of other peoples sulcata enclosures to base mine off of.

Kipley

Seattle, WA
Another problem that I have is I don’t know how to build the enclosure. I mean I have ideas but I really can’t find pictures of other peoples sulcata enclosures to base mine off of.
Look through the files here under both Sulcata care and general enclosures. There are many options. But uniform heat and humidity are imperative at this age for survival, an enclosed tub or table is the only option. You can easily convert a large storage bin into something that could house him for the several months. Cut a hole in the lid just big enough for a domed basking light and a CHE for night heat, you can mount the linear UVB inside. The tub/tote comes all built, you only need to engineer a way to securely mount/support the lights.

Garland
Look through the files here under both Sulcata care and general enclosures. There are many options. But uniform heat and humidity are imperative at this age for survival, an enclosed tub or table is the only option. You can easily convert a large storage bin into something that could house him for the several months. Cut a hole in the lid just big enough for a domed basking light and a CHE for night heat, you can mount the linear UVB inside. The tub/tote comes all built, you only need to engineer a way to securely mount/support the lights.
Okay! Sounds great thanks for the feedback. At the pet store he wasn’t in an enclosed tub. And I was told he was there for up to 4 weeks. The humidity had to of been 20% and he was in that for 4 weeks!!! When I read up on sulcatas and found out that information I got furious. Pet stores should not be selling animals they don’t know how to care for.

silverbird

Orange County, California
I guess redfoots are expensive in Texas. I have two baby cherryhead redfoots that were hatched out on May 5th, and are 1 and a half and two inches long; and I am only selling them for $225 each.IMG_0774.JPGIMG_0773.JPGIMG_0773.JPGIMG_0773.JPGIMG_0773.JPGIMG_0772.JPGIMG_0772.JPGIMG_0774.JPGIMG_0774.JPGIMG_0775.JPGIMG_0775.JPG

Garland
I guess redfoots are expensive in Texas. I have two baby cherryhead redfoots that were hatched out on May 5th, and are 1 and a half and two inches long; and I am only selling them for $225 each.View attachment 295054View attachment 295052View attachment 295052View attachment 295052View attachment 295052View attachment 295056View attachment 295056View attachment 295054View attachment 295054View attachment 295055View attachment 295055
Redfoots in the north east Texas area are usually around $180-$240

Sadie525

Alamosa, CO
Side note: I went to pharmacy school and after I graduated I was on the admissions committee. I sat in on group interviews of candidates for the school. Everyone had the generic reason for why they wanted to be pharmacists: to help people, to contribute, etc. I'm not saying they were disingenuous, I said roughly the same thing and was accepted. There was one lady though who I will never forget. I asked why she wanted to be a pharmacist and she said "I have three kids and by the time I plan on graduating, they are all going to be teenagers and I need a good job so that I can pay the grocery bill." It was my favorite answer of all time. She was definitely admitted to the school. SO, if you're applying to grad school, you can always use your tortoise for a good reason for why want you want to continue your education. "I have a sulcata tortoise at home and he's relying on me to have a big yard with lots of grass." I'd let you in.