Help, Mr. Blink can't open his eyes!!!

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
T
Hmm... What is your night low temp and how are you maintaining that?

What were the temps like while they were outdoors sunning?

Can we see a pic of the indoor and outdoor enclosures? Nothing obvious is jumping out at me yet.
well before all this started, their nite temps were 80 cool side, 83-85 hot side and I maintain the temp w a CHE attached to thermostat.
Now that it seems their all sick, I'm keeping temps no lower then 90 day and night.
Wednesday I took them out to sun, they were fine. The overall weather was cool but I temped the ground, sun areas, rocks, concrete slabs, shade area, etc before I brought them out and everything was 80 or above. I was concerned about the occasional breeze we was getting cause i felt it was chilly and I did cut their outside time short. I brought them back in and into a warm soak they went. I stood right there and watch them, making sure no one stayed in a shady spot to long.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
This is the outside enclosure. Wednesday when I brought them out it was just like this, completely sunny except in the shade spots. The other half behind me is the exact same but I have it sectioned off for the quads.
(That's Marv on the outside there, he was trying to get around to see what I was up too. Lol)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 34

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm coming up blank Amanda. Seems like the tortoise might have eaten something toxic, or been exposed to some fumes or something. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. We've eliminated all the more common and obvious things like temps, hatchling history and coil bulbs.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Please keep us updated. I hope they all feel better soon. Is Mr. Blink doing any better?

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I'm coming up blank Amanda. Seems like the tortoise might have eaten something toxic, or been exposed to some fumes or something. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. We've eliminated all the more common and obvious things like temps, hatchling history and coil bulbs.

That's what it was starting to sound like to me also since all of them are now acting sick. Please do keep updates coming. Sorry I can't be any help here. :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So you say you acquired this one with a second one right? How long was their quarantine before you put those two in with your others? Did you house these two together as a pair before adding in with others? You said the warm side was in 80'sthe to 90's...what basking spot did you offer? They should have a cool dry side that has a bit warmer area that then runs itself into the hottest basking spot..the basking spot should be 100-110....

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I will check their outside pen tomorrow for any type of weed that might be toxic. I checked it before I put it there but perhaps I missed something. It's just so strange that Wednesday when their lights went off they were fine and Thursday he was so bad off.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
So here is where we are as of now.
I am doing 30 minute soak twice a day, a mixture of antibiotic, vitamins, and electrolytes.
This morning Mr. Blink was just lifeless, I gave them their food, picked him up and he was just limp, I thought he was dead, he finally moved his leg. Of course he wouldn't eat, and no one else did either, I offered them some mazuri, dent nibbled a bite or two and went back to his spot, Duke and Ivory ate enough that I was satisfied but Mr. Blink and Wednesday, nothing. So I called the vet. It's Friday, their booked up. So I resorted to what I know. I went, got some antibiotics (it's says cattle use only but I have used it for many other animals in the past) I got a vitamin supplement and an electrolyte supplement. Came straight home and got started. Everybody, including the Sudans, are getting soaked twice a day for 30 minutes. I dissolve the antibiotic,vitamin and electrolyte in the warm water and soak em. Now here is what happen.
Mr.Blink set there holding his head up, eyes closed, never fought process.
After about 15 minutes the other leopards started their water aerobics as I call it. Ivory,Duke, and Dent pooed.
The quads (except alfie) enjoyed theirs about 15 minutes and started their aerobics as well. Alfie started his aerobics as soon as he went in the water. Now usually they don't poo in their water but this time alfie did, but this time I also noticed he had a lot of gas and he would have to jerk his whole front half in his shell and a little turd, would come out, when he was done we had 4 little what I call rabbit turds floating in the water. Usually they poo a nice strand turd, never have I seen them poo these little rabbit turds. I also noticed a little tiny bug on them, it's very small, and brown or red in color. So after I notice these little bugs I go back to the leopards and look at them, they have them too. What the H$&@?!
Now this evening I feed them again. This time I take their weeds and grass, chop it up real fine, mix it w mazuri and give it to them. The quads eat fine. I am feeling better about that, Arizona still ain't 100% but she ate better them she did this AM. The leopards, Duke and Ivory ate enough that I am comfortable with, their eyes are open, no wet noses. Dent nibbled, and went back to his spot, his eyes are open and no wet nose. Ok. Wednesday wouldn't eat, I had to work to get her eyes open, and she didn't keep em open long but no wet nose. She was kinda laying around but when I took her from her spot, she got mad and rushed, I would say ran, back to it. And Mr. Blink, lifeless. I attempted multiple times to get him to eat and he just layed his little head down. I finally set him over under the basking light (he felt cold to my touch) and after a little bit he he started slinging his head to his left and biting, like he was attempting to chew something. He then started stretching his neck out and doing the head slinging and biting. He would do this a couple times then lay his head back down. I checked to see if there was any of those bugs on him, perhaps they were aggravating him, but there wasn't anything on him. So lights are now out and he is still doing the whole head slinging biting thing here and there.
So I am crossing my fingers and praying that things get better.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
So I have some questions.
1-I spot clean their enclosures daily. I pick up any food particles that's left, I even go through the bark and try to get up all the turds I see. What are these little bugs I am seeing? How did I end up w them? What do I need to do to get rid of them?
2- I seriously try and follow the care sheet for raising leopards and sulcata, I soak them, I give a varied diet, mostly grass and weeds, maybe once every two weeks I will throw in a handful of spring mix or romaine, just to change it up. Twice a week I mix calcium and multivitamin supplement in a couple moistened maurzi pellets and give them. Unless weather stops us, we go outside for at least an hour each day for some sun rays and natural grazing. I spot clean their enclosures everyday, I clean their food and water dishes w the hottest water I can stand everyday (somedays the water dish gets cleaned multiple times). I keep humidity levels above 80 at all times. I keep everyone separated, no mingling ever. So now I have a bunch of sick little guys, what am I doing wrong? Where their temps were jumping, could that have caused it? I mean the temps don't go below 80, but like it will be 82, the basking light will get it up, 95-98, so I will turn light off till temps drop down and them turn light back on, that cycle might happen 3-4 time a day, could me doing this have made them ill? I am really at a lose. I feel really bad that my little ones are now sick, from the way Mr. Blink looks, I might have possibly killed him. This is terrible. If anyone has suggestions or advise, ease let me have it, I have to do something better, I need to fix something. Thanks in advance guys!!

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
The little brown/red bugs sound like they might just be wood mites, they shouldn't bother your torts I mean other than crawling on them from time to time. Also you need to try to be calm and relax try not to get to stressed I know that can be hard because your babies are sick but stressing out to much wont help you or them. To me it sounds like with their care you are doing a very good job I have no idea what could be causing your babies problems, I hope they and Mr. Blink get better. :(

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
The little brown/red bugs sound like they might just be wood mites, they shouldn't bother your torts I mean other than crawling on them from time to time. Also you need to try to be calm and relax try not to get to stressed I know that can be hard because your babies are sick but stressing out to much wont help you or them. To me it sounds like with their care you are doing a very good job I have no idea what could be causing your babies problems, I hope they and Mr. Blink get better. :(
Wood mites makes sense, I never had them when I only had Eco earth. I will keep an eye on them, make sure they aren't bothering the baby's. And thanks for the advise, it is truly frustrating, Mr Blink looks so sad and I can't do anything to make it better for him. It's also some what shocking cause they get so bad so fast. Wednesday when they went to bed, everything was fine and then the next day he's on deaths door, I'm hoping tomorrow is going to b a better day for him.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
So sorry this is happening to your little ones. I have been there so understand your frustration and helplessness. I do not see anything you are doing wrong either. Sure hope things turn around for you.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Well I went in to check on my little guys and Mr Blinks was dead. :(:(
I'm crossing fingers and really hoping his sibling Wednesday doesn't get any worse. She is very small but she is still spunky, she was walking about picking a new sleep spot while I was removing Mr Blink so let's hope her spunkyness will hang in there.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So you say you acquired this one with a second one right? How long was their quarantine before you put those two in with your others? Did you house these two together as a pair before adding in with others? You said the warm side was in 80'sthe to 90's...what basking spot did you offer? They should have a cool dry side that has a bit warmer area that then runs itself into the hottest basking spot..the basking spot should be 100-110....

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Thank you. BTW, yours in your avatar pic are adorable. I wish one of mine was that white. Duke and Ivory have some white coming in here and there, so I'm waiting to see what they turn out like.
Thanks.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Oh man, I'm so sorry about Mr. Blink, This is very sad I wonder what is going on and what was the cause? It is indeed scary how one day they can be totally fine and next seem like they are on deaths doorstep. :(

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Well I got up this morning and buried Mr Blink.
I then started the daily grind. I made up their medicated soaks, and soaked everybody. Everybody was very active, doing their water aerobics, everyone's eyes were open, everyone made a poo except Wednesday.
So after their soaks I gave them some food. Grass and weeds mixed w mazuri. I really just wasn't satisfied w anyone's appetite. So I did it, I broke down. I got in the car ran to the nearest grocery store and bought a bag of spring mix and some romaine. I came home, chopped it all up into bite size pieces and gave it to them.
The Quads ate like champs. I am not seeing anything from any of them that worries me. I think I might have over reacted about them being sick. (I do that from time to time) Just to be safe I'm going to continue their medicated soaks tho.
All the leopards ate except Wednesday, Mr Blinks sibling. Duke and Ivory have been doing ok and Dent was kinda worring me yesterday but he is doing much better today. I am starting to think maybe Mr Blink and Wednesday had something going on before this. It's odd that what ever is going on w them was all a sudden and effecting them, not really the other 3. Perhaps they weren't started right. I have not seen any type of discharge from Wednesday nose, and what I seen from Mr Blink wasn't enough to worry about. I'm starting to think it's not a respiratory issue.
So as of now, the Quads are fine, my over worrying was their problem. And I may still loose Wednesday, I'm hoping for a good outcome but I'm doubtful she will make it, but as for the other 3, they seem to be doing just fine today. I am going to keep the medicated soaks for 10-14 days just to be safe.
image.jpg
This is Wednesday this morning. I have her a private dish, she wouldn't touch anything in it tho

Different story for Dent, he is eating like a little champ this morning, much much better then he was doing yesterday.
image.jpg
I got caught, hehehe. He hates to be watched.