Help me with my Red Foot rescue

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Anyone have any reasonable guesses as to his age? I'm thinking he might be 20 or more.

I'll get some plastron photos later when he come out.

Here he is last night devouring a hibuscus flower and then his regular bowl of greens and squash.
After about the age of 12 they kind of stop growing.
Hard to tell the age. So he's between 12 and 65.
But I'm honestly feeling that he "looks" young to me in the photos.
What are his actual dimensions?

Foy

Fort Myers, FL
A simple 75 watt CHE screwed into a suitable ceramic based socket, some fixture on a timer.
Mine are on at 5 PM
Off at 10 AM
My night houses have rubber door flaps to keep out drafts and keep the heat in better.
You can see the night houses on one of my YOUTUBE videos called:
REDFOOT HABITAT FLORIDA STYLE
Thanks! I watched your video as well. I keep reading that Red Foots don't like others around and that the males will fight each other and breed the females many times a day. I've watched all the Kamp Kenan Red Foot videos too and see he has lots of them in the same pen.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks! I watched your video as well. I keep reading that Red Foots don't like others around and that the males will fight each other and breed the females many times a day. I've watched all the Kamp Kenan Red Foot videos too and see he has lots of them in the same pen.
Actually, that's the key. Although all tortoises are solitary animals and should be kept singularly.
There can be safety in numbers.
With a lot of females for the males. Everyone is generally happy. Nobody gets overly bullied. Its spread out.
Personally I like a ratio of 1 male per AT LEAST 3 females. And LOADS of space. Like you see in his videos.
Two or more males with no or too few females.....Bad idea!
All females with a lot of room. Several hundred square feet. Probably fine.
Keenan's videos are interesting and entertaining. But he takes a lot for granted. Like the fact that he...And I live in an almost ideal, tropical environment. Some of the things he advocates simply wont work for keepers living elsewhere. Etc.
Get your entertainment there.
Get you information here.
This forum is the reason why my animals have great lives.

Foy

Fort Myers, FL
Actually, that's the key. Although all tortoises are solitary animals and should be kept singularly.
There can be safety in numbers.
With a lot of females for the males. Everyone is generally happy. Nobody gets overly bullied. Its spread out.
Personally I like a ratio of 1 male per AT LEAST 3 females. And LOADS of space. Like you see in his videos.
Two or more males with no or too few females.....Bad idea!
All females with a lot of room. Several hundred square feet. Probably fine.
Keenan's videos are interesting and entertaining. But he takes a lot for granted. Like the fact that he...And I live in an almost ideal, tropical environment. Some of the things he advocates simply wont work for keepers living elsewhere. Etc.
Get your entertainment there.
Get you information here.
This forum is the reason why my animals have great lives.

That all makes sense. I have no plans to add more but I had no plan to have even one! My grandson loves Kamp Kenan. He puts onagood show.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Sometimes it snowballs.
People find out you have a tortoise. They can't care for theirs. Then you have two.....
And if your anything like me before you know it your living in a Zoo.

Foy

Fort Myers, FL
So far it seems like a lot of work for an animal that can't jump onto the sofa! Lol!

Here's a photo of the platen and another of front edge that's coming loose.

Hesa little over 10" long and 6" wide

Attachments

• IMG_7166.JPG
    IMG_7166.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7167.JPG
    IMG_7167.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 35

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
So far it seems like a lot of work for an animal that can't jump onto the sofa! Lol!

Here's a photo of the platen and another of front edge that's coming loose.

Hesa little over 10" long and 6" wide
He's had a rough time out there.
He's going to keep some battle scars. But they just ad character.
At 10" he may be about 8 years old. That'd only be fully grown if his growth has been stunted in some way. But I'm guessing based on my own experiences.

Foy

Fort Myers, FL
Yes he has. It's hard not to feel badly about what his life as been like. As I mentioned he's eating well now. When I first fed him he acted like he had no idea what to do so I speculate that he's never had anything but grass before. He can inhale a hibuscus flower!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes he has. It's hard not to feel badly about what his life as been like. As I mentioned he's eating well now. When I first fed him he acted like he had no idea what to do so I speculate that he's never had anything but grass before. He can inhale a hibuscus flower!
I recently got a sick little Redfoot that had only had moistened hay based pellets his whole life.
It didn't take him long to enjoy his new buffet diet.
He went crazy on his first piece of fruit!

Foy

Fort Myers, FL
It's really nice to see them eating so well. Mine still stays hidden under the bushes 95% of the time. The only time I see him is late afternoon when he comes out to graze. I give him some hibuscusleaves to keep him there until I can get some veggies fixed and out to him.