Help me tell the gender of my Herman tortoise.

CharlieS2020

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hi there! I was jsut wondering if you guys could help me tell the gender of my Herman tortoise. Here are some photos let me know if you need better photos. I appreciate any help. Charlie

IMG-0488.jpgIMG-0487.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-0487.jpg
    IMG-0487.jpg
    950 KB · Views: 0

CharlieS2020

Ontario
too young....
what age will i be able to tell. becuse from what ive read it sounds like charlie is female. her shell truns up at the back her tail is short andon her planstron by her tall its more in a triangle. Charlie

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
what age will i be able to tell. becuse from what ive read it sounds like charlie is female. her shell truns up at the back her tail is short andon her planstron by her tall its more in a triangle. Charlie
This is the tortoise who is just over 100 grams if I remember correctly from a week or so ago? If so, you aren‘t going to find out the gender for awhile yet. when they are as little as yours is, they all look female. Mine didn’t start showing characteristics of being male until he was around 400 grams and even at that, they’re very subtle characteristics. The only way I knew for sure is because he flashed me.

CharlieS2020

Ontario
This is the tortoise who is just over 100 grams if I remember correctly from a week or so ago? If so, you aren‘t going to find out the gender for awhile yet. when they are as little as yours is, they all look female. Mine didn’t start showing characteristics of being male until he was around 400 grams and even at that, they’re very subtle characteristics. The only way I knew for sure is because he flashed me.
well my tortosie has headbutted me before would that be a singh of a male?

CharlieS2020

Ontario
also i know this is totaly of topic but should i always leave food out for my tortoise to eat?

CharlieS2020

Ontario
also like i said before should i have food out for charlie to always eat? i forget with thing i posted it on but i think it was on how much should my tortosie weigh. people said charlie should have food to graze on is that true? right now i am only giving her 2 meals a day breakfast and dinner. should i give her lots of food in the morning so she can chosse when to eat it? all help appreciated! Charlie

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
also like i said before should i have food out for charlie to always eat? i forget with thing i posted it on but i think it was on how much should my tortosie weigh. people said charlie should have food to graze on is that true? right now i am only giving her 2 meals a day breakfast and dinner. should i give her lots of food in the morning so she can chosse when to eat it? all help appreciated! Charlie
It doesn’t hurt to have food out all day, but I personally think you’re ok with feeding twice per day. As long as you’re giving enough food each time. If you’re leaving food and it’s all gone in 10 to 20 minutes, then I would give a little more. Play with the amount until you see that Charlie is leaving a little left over. I am by no means one of the experts on the forum. I’ve spent countless hours reading on the forum and following people’s threads. My only personal experience is with my Eastern Hermann’s tortoise. I got him when he was 3 months old and he will be 2 in May. With that said, I’ve seen so many of the reputable forum members say that you can’t over feed if you’re feeding the right things. In regards to the headbutt...either gender has been known to do this. I think it might do you good to re-read Tom’s care sheet, so I’ll link it below. I still often refer to it. There’s a lot to learn and it’s hard to always remember everything. Just out of curiosity, is your name and your tortoises name both Charlie?

CharlieS2020

Ontario
It doesn’t hurt to have food out all day, but I personally think you’re ok with feeding twice per day. As long as you’re giving enough food each time. If you’re leaving food and it’s all gone in 10 to 20 minutes, then I would give a little more. Play with the amount until you see that Charlie is leaving a little left over. I am by no means one of the experts on the forum. I’ve spent countless hours reading on the forum and following people’s threads. My only personal experience is with my Eastern Hermann’s tortoise. I got him when he was 3 months old and he will be 2 in May. With that said, I’ve seen so many of the reputable forum members say that you can’t over feed if you’re feeding the right things. In regards to the headbutt...either gender has been known to do this. I think it might do you good to re-read Tom’s care sheet, so I’ll link it below. I still often refer to it. There’s a lot to learn and it’s hard to always remember everything. Just out of curiosity, is your name and your tortoises name both Charlie?

thanks for the advice. and no my tortoise name is charllie i jsut dident want to put my real name. Charlie