help me sex my red foots

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeek0

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, Arizona
Hi, I have two red-foot tortoises and I was wondering if anyone could help me find out the sex of both of them. They both look like females to me, but I'm not certain. Please help.

Thanks,
Brandon
:tort:

2011-09-12_09-54-44_573_KPT.jpg 2011-09-12_09-55-06_979_KPT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I'm remembering correctly, the male redfoot has a straight line above the back leg where the anal scute and the next scute come together, while a female has an indentation at that point. Both of your pictures show an indentation, so I would say female. However, I may be remembering incorrectly. Wait to be sure until a more knowledgeable redfoot person tells you their opinion.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Right now,they both look female to me. But by sexual maturity that can change entirely.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
(This thread was double posted. The one with the fewer posts was moved to the 'to be deleted' forum.)

beeek0

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
Thanks everyone for your help!! About how long does it usually take to be able to sex them correctly?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
beeek0 said:
Thanks everyone for your help!! About how long does it usually take to be able to sex them correctly?

By the time they hit 15 years old or so and have either fathered or laid several clutches, you can be pretty sure!

More practically, Northerns can usually be sexed pretty accurately at about 6-7", and Brazilians/Southerns/Cherry-heads usually can be determined a bit smaller.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
or if you are bathing them one day and sorry but....there penises pop out there cloaca (not acutaly the cloaca but the hole in the tail ;) ) thats how i found out!

Status
Not open for further replies.