Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A 10 gallon aquarium isn't nearly big enough for all the stuff you have in there. You might get away with keeping a hatchling in a 10 gallon tank, but anything larger than a hatchling would need way more room.

The "opening her mouth" that you see could possible mean the tortoise has pnuemonia or an upper respiratory infection. I'm glad you are thinking about taking the tortoise to the vet. Here's a site to check for reptile vets:

http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/canrepvt.htm

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
My opinion, I would not put off taking her to the vet for very long. An RI or pnuemonia can hit a hatchling hard and fast.
I would move your light to one side of the enclosure, change the 10 gal tank to a short sided sweater or under bed Rubbermaid type tote, or build a tort table. What are the temp and humidity readings in her enclosure. If she/he is ill you may want to raise her/his temps to about 86 F. until you see a vet. If the temps are too high you could be baking your tort.
If you don't have a thermometer and hydrometer yet I would get a good one. I thought I could use the strip kind you place in a tank but found I spent lots more on them until I bought a decent one. Do you have a 50 watt bulb and a UV Bulb? Perhaps I should just ask you to explain the type of light and heat bulbs you are using? Is it possible to post a pic of its enclosure?

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Hi,
A respiratory infection can be a very serious problem. I'd be talking to the person I bought the tortoise from if I where you.

I'd like to suggest you check out www.russiantortoise.org . There are some very good lists of foods & care info. Most of their needs are the same as Russians.

oneoneone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My vet said everything is fine, he just told me to change the substrate. He said it was possibly the forest bark that was dusty. My Marginated is now in a 26'x26' wooden box I made. Still keeping an eye on any signs of problems. Still working on her diet, because it's been quite difficult trying to find anything else besides dandelion greens to feed her. Does anyone have any ideas on how I should set up her cage. I have all the basic stuff. What's a good way of trying to mimic a Marginateds natural habitat?

I have some questions about the vet;
He stuck something in her to check if it was male/female, does this hurt her?
He squeezed her shell to see how hard it was, does this hurt her?
He pinned her head to the side, and kept his finger where her head is suppose to be to keep her head still, does this hurt her?
He pried her mouth opened, does this hurt her?

I hope my tortoise didn't get hurt, she tried to shoot my vet with pee that visit. I think she gets nervous now, she hides in her shell when I handle her, but before the visit, she would crawl all over my hand and wouldn't hide when I pet her or when she felt my presence.

Thank you all for your help.

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Hi,
I can't imagine she enjoyed any of that rough play.
I'm glad to hear there isn't an infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.