HELP !!! (mandevilla toxic?)

Suany

Location (City and/or State)
Miami Florida
Hello everyone! I have two sulcatas one is 4 years old and the second one is 5. Recently I purchase a climbing plant call mandevilla plant. Some people on Instagram which own tortoises as well have suggested me is a toxic plant but before that I fed my tortoises a few flowers and they didn’t got sick. After those comment I stop feeding them this plant. I was wondering if any of you have any information about this plant and if is ok for tortoises to eat it.
my email is [email protected]

2995DCCA-3B57-4579-B8DF-005CAF07536B.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mandevilla sap is a skin irritant and the plant itself causes mild stomach upset and vomiting in mammals. Your tortoises should be ok, but I wouldn't feed it anymore.

L

LasTortugasNinja

It's a member of the Oleander family... so it's probably best to avoid feeding it to the torts.

Mssortizz

Miami Florida
Hello everyone! I have two sulcatas one is 4 years old and the second one is 5. Recently I purchase a climbing plant call mandevilla plant. Some people on Instagram which own tortoises as well have suggested me is a toxic plant but before that I fed my tortoises a few flowers and they didn’t got sick. After those comment I stop feeding them this plant. I was wondering if any of you have any information about this plant and if is ok for tortoises to eat it.
my email is [email protected]

View attachment 295910
Also any other flower climbing plants you guys can recommend me

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi! You can check many plants yourself at this site. They are very conservative...some of the plants they label as "do not feed" are ok to feed in very small amounts, mixed with a large variety of safe plants.

But if unsure, follow this site's advice. With some plants, there is no room for error.