Help! (male/female aggression)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
RE: Help!

From the point of the male Russian, all the time every day.

From the point of the female, very rarely.

From a keepers point of view, if you decide to keep them in the same enclosure, you need a very large enclosure with lots of sight breaks and plenty of places for her to hide. Or 3 females to every male.

Most keepers have a separate enclosure for each Russian.

Good luck.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
RE: Help (breeding aggression)

They should each have their own enclosure ...two individual enclosures which is were they would always each live..and then you could set up a completely separate third enclosure/space to allow them to come together once or twice a year...that is all that is needed if you are wanting hatchlings....if you are not wanting hatchlings/babies then there would NEVER be a time that you would put them together....no need to put the female through the assault...none.

coledoug1

5 Year Member
Help (male aggression)

My male Russian tortoise is always bobbing his head and biting her legs. Today he did it again but the female did it too. Does this mean anything?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
RE: Help

coledoug1 said:
My male Russian tortoise is always bobbing his head and biting her legs. Today he did it again but the female did it too. Does this mean anything?
First, are you positive that you have a male and a female and not two males? If it is definitely a male and female she is very likely retaliating against the male's advances. Most females will either run or become submissive to a male's constant aggression. Very few of them will begin to retaliate.
Constant aggression is the prime reason why males and females of many species should not be kept together and only put together occasionally for breeding purposes.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
RE: Help

coledoug1 said:
Ok I will seperate them. What does it mean though?

See GBtortoises response. I believe the nail was hit on the head with his/her response. The two are being aggressive towards eachother because they are either both male, OR because the female does not want/is not ready to mate. This type of aggressive can stress one or both torts out and can make one or both become very withdrawn. Not to mention, serious injuries will occur.

Good luck on getting a second enclosure set up - you're definitely going to need one! ;)

carliedash

5 Year Member
The best ratio is to have 1male:3females. That way he can satisfy himself without stressing any of the three ladies out too much

Status
Not open for further replies.