Angry._.potato

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
Hello! I am new here, but I wanted your guys' opinion on my African Sulcata tortoise. So apparently I discovered that whenever my tortoise breathes, his throat gets big. Like a frog, but everything sucks back in once he's done inhaling. Is this normal? I got him from a sketchy reptile store; however, the reviews seemed pleasing and convincing. I received him on April 20th, 2020, and on that same day, the lady told me he was six months old. The temperature for the day is 95°-100° (UVA/UVB side; in the middle of the enclosure), and the far-right and left is between 85°-90°. The diet is romaine lettuce, green lettuce, carrots (occasional), broccoli (rarely...small amounts), strawberry (for treats) only gave them strawberry twice out of the weeks I've had them. I provide them a cuddle fishbone, calcium powder (every other day), liquid calcium for water (rarely). I am aware that grass is a large staple of their diets, but they hate it; you name it...I sprinkled it, let them try it, and even washed their grass to make it enticing, etc.. The grass I have has no chemicals. It's grown from my backyard. Their substrate was originally coconut fiber, but that was a terrible choice because the stringy pieces...I'm assuming it's coconut shaving...were in their food bowl. So I immediately changed it to loose coconut fiber...kind of looks like soil and I got it from Petsmart. His stool is firm and perfect; he is very active here and there (seem to only be awake early in the morning or late at night and in the middle of the day; active for like 5-6 hours out of the whole day), he eats A LOT, no runny nose, no sneezing, no coughing. no mouth breathing. He seems okay, but why does his throat bulge up like a frog (exaggerated example, but that is the best I got) and sucks back in when he breaths? I did a lot of research, and I keep thinking about bacterial infections and respiratory infections, but he seems fair. I am taking him to a vet this Saturday, but I want to make sure he isn't dying or anything. I feel like a paranoid mom, but I want to make sure. Plus...when I put my finger under his throat it feels like a little ball... (Sometimes it stay there...the ball...and sometimes his throat looks flat.) I can post more pictures. Please ask what type of photo I should take.
20200513_222653.jpg20200513_222701.jpg20200513_222710.jpg20200513_222753.jpg20200513_222757.jpg20200513_222838.jpg20200513_222805.jpg20200513_222813.jpg20200513_222701.jpg20200513_222653.jpg

Angry._.potato

Phoenix
I spot clean his enclosure everyday, I clean his food bowls everyday with water, and I also clean his water bowl daily!

Angry._.potato

Phoenix
I think you're probably worrying about nothing. Read the care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181503/ and make any adjustments required. This way of caring for little sulcata babies is tried and true. You can't go wrong if you follow these directions.

A little update on my tortoise. I took my tortoise to the vet and everything was good except the diet. One question I have is how would I feed my tortoise? He is so stubborn and doesn't want to eat grass or the timothy hay I provide him. Both are completely natural and doesn't have any pesticides or anything. My tort was mainly fed vegetables and romaine lettuce in the reptile shop. He is so stubborn and I am not sure what to do. )):

Reactions: Ink

Unkapunka

Osage City
You just have to chop it up fine, wet it a little and mix it in with what he will eat. I'm just a beginner. Tom and others know a lot more than me. Good Luck