Help locating a specific bulb and/or hood

ArmadilloPup

Location (City and/or State)
NE Oklahoma
Maybe I'm just tired, but I've been searching and I can't seem to find this size bulb anywhere in any brand. I found something on Amazon that could be it, but the description says made in China. All of my Zoo Med bulbs say made in Germany, so I think the Amazon one may be a fake. Anyone know where to find the 11" T5?

bulb.jpg

Otherwise - I have an unused T8 18" bulb, but would need a new hood.

Should I toss both bulbs and get a whole new T5 hood/bulb set? Suggestions welcome.

I'm on a bit of a budget atm, so I prefer a place with free/low shipping, or there is a Lowe's in driving distance.

Homeschool Mom

5 Year Member
MN
Hello, I'm hopping on this post in hopes you can assist me. I came to this site looking for info to make a change and these Arcadia bulbs interest me. We've been using Zoomed Powersun 100W for years, but the past couple years the quality is terrible. I don't have a hood, but am looking to switch over to using a hood. Our Russian tort enclosure is 6' long and the current lighting sits 18" above the substrate. Switching to a hood, am I then buying UVA and UVB separately? Will I also need a spotlight for extra heat?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hello, I'm hopping on this post in hopes you can assist me. I came to this site looking for info to make a change and these Arcadia bulbs interest me. We've been using Zoomed Powersun 100W for years, but the past couple years the quality is terrible. I don't have a hood, but am looking to switch over to using a hood. Our Russian tort enclosure is 6' long and the current lighting sits 18" above the substrate. Switching to a hood, am I then buying UVA and UVB separately? Will I also need a spotlight for extra heat?
Hello,

It’s the Arcadia Pro T5 12% bulb you’re after for UV. Most places sell a kit that you can buy the first time that includes the fixture and the bulb and afterwards you can just buy the bulb when it needs replacing. 18” might be a bit too close. The box will give a guide for height, but a Solarmeter 6.5 or 6.5r should really be used to ensure you have it set at the right height and then you can also monitor the UV output over time so you can adjust height accordingly and replace the bulb when necessary. If your enclosure is 6ft long, you can go with the 22.5” or 35” bulb. You will need a different bulb for heat/basking. The most recommended and cost effective is an incandescent flood light from the hardware store or Amazon. 65 watt usually works for most people but your thermometer and temp gun will be your guide here.

Here‘s a link to the Arcadia product I’m talking about.

Here is a link to an excellent care sheet that will explain in further detail about the lighting, heat and UV for your species of tortoise.

Homeschool Mom

5 Year Member
MN
Hello,

It’s the Arcadia Pro T5 12% bulb you’re after for UV. Most places sell a kit that you can buy the first time that includes the fixture and the bulb and afterwards you can just buy the bulb when it needs replacing. 18” might be a bit too close. The box will give a guide for height, but a Solarmeter 6.5 or 6.5r should really be used to ensure you have it set at the right height and then you can also monitor the UV output over time so you can adjust height accordingly and replace the bulb when necessary. If your enclosure is 6ft long, you can go with the 22.5” or 35” bulb. You will need a different bulb for heat/basking. The most recommended and cost effective is an incandescent flood light from the hardware store or Amazon. 65 watt usually works for most people but your thermometer and temp gun will be your guide here.

Here‘s a link to the Arcadia product I’m talking about.

Here is a link to an excellent care sheet that will explain in further detail about the lighting, heat and UV for your species of tortoise.

Thank you very much for this info! I've always been confused by the need for UVA and UVB and placed my confidence in an all-in-one bulb. They worked fantastic for quite a few years, but the last 2-3 years have been a struggle and waste of money with quality issues. I really appreciate when someone helps confirm what's a good plan. I read around on this site regarding lighting and was still not 100% confident with my plan.