Help: Lethargic and not eating

isobull

Location (City and/or State)
East Wenatchee WA
I know this is probably a really common topic on these forums but I have yet to see a case that has helped me unfortunately. My Hermann is about 3 years old and has been acting peculiar.

As of the last few weeks he's been pretty sleepy but it's winter time so I haven't thought about it much. he usually is out and about for a little bit every day. today he managed to move his thermometer out of it's spot and took it's place. I've had the heater on all day so I find it unlikely he's looking for heat. I soaked him as I usually do about once or twice a week. I came up and it looked like he was trying to defecate or possibly sneezing? I took him out and checked his bum, nothing was poking out and nothing was stuck. I figured he might be sneezing. His eyes and nostrils we're clear. I thought I'd just keep an eye on him and make sure he was doing okay before I began to overreact.

As of right now he refuses to eat, takes no interest and is hardly moving. He doesn't even look strong enough to pick himself up all the way since he's mostly splayed out. He will sit in one spot completely still for a moment and keeps blinking slowly like he's tired. It's almost like he wants to sleep but that's not like him at this time since it's his feeding time and he knows that. He has moved a little bit towards his favorite sleeping spot under the tiny bridge in his enclosure. I'm very worried.

His eyes are clear, his nose is clear and aside from the "sneezing" he doesn't seem to be having any issues breathing.

I feed him spring mix minus any spinach, occasionally supplementing with calcium and he has 2 calcium blocks available to him at all times. I soak him once or twice a week. I'm concerned that I might have forgotten to feed him as I was recently in a car accident and I have been very stressed trying to get everything sorted out. I use a cyprus mulch/bark substrate and keep his bottom heater on around the clock and his day time heater and UVB light on for about 12 hours.

Is it possible he's just tired from the especially cold weather recently? It's so unusual for him to act this way.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!

Inactive tortoises are usually caused by cold temps. What is your basking spot temp? What about cool side and night?

Can we see a picture of your enclosure?

He might be trying to brumate. Try keeping your lights on for 14 hours a day.

isobull

East Wenatchee WA
Thank you!

His basking temps range from 75-80F depending on if my space heater is on. At night it usually hovers at about 72F. His cool side/cool hide is usually about 72F.

Here is my enclosure. The upper right hand corner is his basking spot also where the thermometer is now. he normally tucks himself right adjacent to it under the end of the bridge or right next to the rock.

MVIMG_20180902_174520.jpg

I will definitely try and keep the lights on longer.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thank you!

His basking temps range from 75-80F depending on if my space heater is on. At night it usually hovers at about 72F. His cool side/cool hide is usually about 72F.

Here is my enclosure. The upper right hand corner is his basking spot also where the thermometer is now. he normally tucks himself right adjacent to it under the end of the bridge or right next to the rock.

MVIMG_20180902_174520.jpg

I will definitely try and keep the lights on longer.

The problem is likely that your basking spot is much too low. It should be 95-100.

Keep in mind that if your tortoise is 4 inches or larger, it requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet.

isobull

East Wenatchee WA
I'll have to invest in a better heat lamp. This one has given me nothing but issues this winter.

He's still on the small side of that and there is more enclosed space he can access. That said I definitely do plan on building him a larger enclosure soon.

I appreciate the advice!