Help Learning About Tortoise

Rlogreen

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hello,
We recently rescued our tortoise from a friend who wasn’t taking the best care of her. We’ve had her for about 2 months, built a new enclosure, taken her to the vets and she’s definitely getting healthier and putting on a little weight.

We have noticed these pale lines start to appear down sections of her shell. And I was hoping someone could advise what this is? If it is something to be concerned about?
Thanks,
Ro?

D07B8966-DBF9-4F3B-8831-C1BE9DD32B25.jpeg255DB9CC-2929-4450-B1C7-7AE29AAC1E22.jpeg

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
That's new shell growth, nothing to worry about. That's what happens when you do something right :). The new growth hasn't had a chance to get dirty or worn yet.

Normally all scute boundaries should grow equally, but some of this tortoise's scutes are stuck together. This happens fairly commonly, generally when there is a prolonged period without any growth (especially under adverse, dry conditions). Maintaining higher humidity (70% or more) might help smooth things out, but it will likely always be asymmetric.

Steve

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
You've found the right place for up to date information on torts and equipment

Is he a Greek?

This is the caresheet for most torts sold in the UK
If he's not there are others available in the species specific section.

If you post some pics of your enclosure you'll get great advice on making sure your tort is as safe and happy as possible.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you have him under a light? It looks like the new shell growth on the top of the shell is burned and dried out. The light may be too close.

Rlogreen

London
That's new shell growth, nothing to worry about. That's what happens when you do something right :). The new growth hasn't had a chance to get dirty or worn yet.

Normally all scute boundaries should grow equally, but some of this tortoise's scutes are stuck together. This happens fairly commonly, generally when there is a prolonged period without any growth (especially under adverse, dry conditions). Maintaining higher humidity (70% or more) might help smooth things out, but it will likely always be asymmetric.

Steve

That’s nice to hear! We’ve been worrying about her! Thank you for your response:)

Do you have any advise for maintaining this new growth and the shell in general?
Thanks,
Ro?

Rlogreen

London
Do you have him under a light? It looks like the new shell growth on the top of the shell is burned and dried out. The light may be too close.
Her light is about 20 inches above her basking rock, should it be further? Is there anything I can do to look after the new growth :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The height of basking lamps needs to be tested with a thermometer to make sure the temp isn't too hot or cold.
I use a rock or upturned ceramic bowl which is about the same height as my tort to test the temp under lamp on, and then I either raise or lower the lamp accordingly .

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
the light may have been too close to the shell from the previous owner. just be mindful of the distance recommended on the bulb packaging